Accessing video sever through Web

Mike P

Hi, I am hoping for some suggestions on what I should do. I have installed a cctv camera(watching the driveway) and connected it to an Axis video server. The Axis is connected to a Linksys N switch. I would like to be able to view the video from the web. I can get into the Linksys from the web, but thats as far as I can get. I am a hardware and cable guy, But software, NOT my strong point. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks,
Mike

Hi, I am hoping for some suggestions on what I should do. I have installed a cctv camera(watching the driveway) and connected it to an Axis video server. The Axis is connected to a Linksys N switch. I would like to be able to view the video from the web. I can get into the Linksys from the web, but thats as far as I can get. I am a hardware and cable guy, But software, NOT my strong point. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks,
Mike
You need to create a "static" IP for your Axis Server (i.e. not DHCP) AND possibly use a port other than 80 (most ISP's will not let you broadcast on Port 80). Then you need to set up port forwarding in your Linksys menus.

Probably best to say what model of Linksys you have and also what model of Axis server you are using (241Q perhaps??).

I'm familiar with both products and can hopefully help. Probably best to catch me on a chat session and I'll step you through it instead of trying to describe the steps in a post.

If you want to give it a whirl, refer to THIS site for help with the Linksys port forwarding.

Thanks,

The Linksys is an WRT300N and the Axis is an 2400, A little old, But free. I am a CCTV/Access Control Contractor for many Large nation/world wide companys. I am in the process of removing several of these units. Need one? The Axis has a Static on my network, But I don't have a static with my provider. I know what my current IP address is and know that it will change upon rebooting my modem, But that is fine for now.

Thanks for the help,

Mike

You dont need a static up on the WAN side, just use a free service like dyndns.com and it will assign a name to your ip address. when your ip changes, it updates the dyndns.com website so the name will always point to your router.
just go to the ddns page in the linksys config after creating an account on the dyndns.com site.

As far as the internet access, its very simple to do. On the application and gaming tab in the linksys, you need to "open" the port you want to use for the video server, and point it to the video servers ip address.

I can provide you complete hands off configuration if you like, all you need to do is have a PC that can connect to the router locally.

Basically as was mentioned:

Register for a DynDNS account, I can also provide Dynamic DNS services directly.

Router

Config DynDNS client
Set DHCP pool range
Set forwarding for required ports (P)

Streamer

Set IP address static outside of DHCP pool range
Set ports to match router P

Call the streamer by
http://domain.tld:port

Hi Mike;

I have used both of those products. I would love an Axis 2400 server as they are great products.

It sounds like you have the Axis Server setup, but if not here are some guidelines.

You need to assign an internal static IP address for the Axis server and not let your Linksys assign a DHCP address. This way you will not have to change your port forwarding settings in your Linksys router on chance the Axis gets its address changed if done dynamically.

I usually like to use the "ARP" method of assigning an IP address for the Axis products. Let's say you assigned the Axis server an internal address of 192.168.1.200. I would also use an uncommon port such as 3000 in lieu of the default port 80. Once you get your address setup, go to your web browser and type in that IP address. Log in using the default username and password, then click on the "ADMIN" button on the lower left. All of these instructions are in the manual of course and if you have any trouble let me know.

Their is a network settings menu once in the admin setup of the Axis. Notice of course that the IP address is what you assigned, but also note the "port" setting. Set this to say 3000 instead of its default 80.

Also, go to the user menu and add yourself as a user with read/write/admin rights. Remember this username and password.

Now save your settings and re-open the Internet Explorer window. Now type http://192.168.1.200:3000 and you should see the login screen appear. Log in with the username and password you created.

Now it's time to setup your Linksys WRT300N for Port Forwarding. Open the admin menu for your Linksys WRT300N router by typing http://192.168.1.1 and enter the PASSWORD for it. You will now see the setup menus.

Click on status and note your "Internet IP Address". This is the IP address that your service provider provided you (can change due to DHCP settings, more on this later). Write this number down.

Click on "Applications and Gaming", then on "Port Range Forwarding". You now need to forward to your Axis server whenever you enter the IP address you just wrote down above followed by :3000 (port for the Axis).

I entered settings for that in the screen shot below ("Mike's Axis" are the settings you need).

Click on "Save Settings" button towards the bottom of that screen.

Now whenever you go to a computer that is not on your internal network (i.e. work computer) just enter http://the ip address you wrote down above:3000. Let's say the ip address you wrote down was 23.255.22.1. You would enter http://23.255.22.1:3000 from your work PC and it should to go your Axis server.

Now one caveat is if your service provider's address changes that they assigned to you! Then you would have to get the new IP address and enter that :3000 or use a service mentioned above such a dydns. Let's get this working first before going that route though.

I love Axis product and use them at work. I just wish I could afford them for my home use!

If you have any trouble, send me a PM and we will hook up.

Regards,

BSR

Attachments

• forward.jpg
    forward.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 20
Back