Advice on system for use with old Sonitrol hardware

njcheng

Hi All, I'm an IT/web-programming guy approaching the home automation/security system for the first time and would appreciate any advice. Though I've done plenty of cat-5 installation and wiring up christmas lights to a rotary phone dials as a kid, I haven't done much in the way this type of work yet...

I'd like to install either an Elk M1G or HAI OmniPro IIe for a small business whose main interest is security and remote monitoring (but would like the expandability of the temperature control and other features later). Unfortunately the building is a bit of mess and I have found the following:
- A Keri PXL-500 system controlling 2 doors (which I've managed for 2 years now and can't wait to get rid of...if anyone has ever used Keri Doors they'll understand).
- The building had a serious Sonitrol system installed in the late 90s with motion detectors, heat sensors, smoke alarms, door open/close sensors, 2-way audio and a few things I probably haven't found yet. All Sonitrol branded and doesn't seem there's any documentation available. I can trace the bulk of the wiring back to the defunct control panel via tone generator and crawling around in the ceiling.
- 3 relatively new Panasonic BB-HCM527A IP cams.

Would anyone have any advice on:
- Which system would allow me to re-use more of this equipment? Is there anything I should avoid trying to re-use?
- Has anyone confirmed that these cams will work with either ElkRMS or HAI Web-Link II software packages? Elk's camera recommendations are already so old that you can't get the recommended models anymore...
- Any good first-reads/overviews/other helpful tips.

Thanks so much for your time and I'm excited to give this a shot!

-Nick

Back