• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

Ahh Gigabit Finally

tech-home

Well I'm all out of space on my current switch so I needed a new one.

Who knew with only 2 Adults and a 4 year old I would need more then 6 ports..

Heres the one I just bought...

NEW BELKIN 16-Port Gigabit Switch F5D5141-16

Anyone need a Leviton panel mount :lol:

Attachments

• f3_2.jpg
    f3_2.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 0

electron

Administrator
Staff member
You might as well sell it, they came out with 10Gigabit switches :lol:

Anyways, that's a nice switch, pricing seems to be very reasonable, especially for that many ports.

Squintz

It looks like they are about $100. That does not sound too bad. However, I still don't know the difference between a switch and a router even though I have been told several of times. If you connected this switch to a 10/100 router would everything connected to the switch be able to talk at 1G or would the speed be decreased somehow by the weaker router? Would you even need a router or would a switch do the trick for all situations?

HAL_MAN

As long as all computers in the house had gigabit nics, then all interhouse communications would run at 1 gig, the connection from the switch to your broadband router would be technically a 100 mb connection but your only really getting the amount of bandwidth that your isp provides usually not more the 5 mb.

You would still need the router as the switch is a dumb switch with no port translation, configuration, redirection, or firewall
Regrads,
Shawn

tech-home

The main reason is transferring files. I backed up a computer on my network and it took nearly an hour, each way.

I got mine off eBay for 145.00 shipped. Best price I could find but on gigabit swithes. I needed to upgrade to a bigger switch anyways. I will start adding gigabit cards in each computer.

WayneW

Does it have a fan? I hope not, but the lame Belkin site doesn't give any details. Does it run hot? Anything on the back besides a 110VAC power connector?

Who was your eBay seller? some joker wants $55 for US shipping FedEx ground.

tech-home

It was but I only paid 145.00 total. To me thats what matters is the total.
Maybe you can find them cheaper I don't really know.