Alternative to Leviton Zwave controller VRCOP and Stick VRUSB

liberty

I have had it with Leviton products and support. I have a 35 node VISA RF+ network and I lost my Windows 7 PC. Leviton will not upgrade the Installer tool for any windows version above windows 7.  I am looking at Homeseer but they do not have an Elk M1 Plugin and Vera Edge does have an Elk plug in but testing showed too many problems.

Does anyone have any idea if any of the Homeseer or other manufactures STICKS  with work with the leviton VRCOP so I can manage my network with installer software for current operating systems.

My current configuration is:

Elk M1
Elk M1xslw
Leviton Vrusb Stick
Leviton VRCOP secondary controller

Thanks for any ideas

I don't have an answer to your question - but I am curious what your issues are with the Elk plugin for Vera?  I used the Elk plugin on my Vera Lite with UI5 and it worked flawlessly.  I upgraded to the Vera Edge, and after some issues with the initial firmware (Spring 2015) it has been solid since early summer running the Elk plugin and my network of primarily-Leviton zwave devices.

Homeseer 2 and Homeseer 3 has an Elk plugin.  Same person has written the plugin for years. 

I have never tried my Leviton VRCOP with Homeseer. 

I am currently using the VRCOP with my Leviton OmniPro 2 panel and Z-Wave Plus on the Homeseer Z-Wave Zee-2 network.

UltraJones has written plugins / scripts for Homeseer since the early 2000's.

UltraM1G3 Beta for HomeSeer3

liberty said:
I have had it with Leviton products and support. I have a 35 node VISA RF+ network and I lost my Windows 7 PC. Leviton will not upgrade the Installer tool for any windows version above windows 7.  I am looking at Homeseer but they do not have an Elk M1 Plugin and Vera Edge does have an Elk plug in but testing showed too many problems.

Does anyone have any idea if any of the Homeseer or other manufactures STICKS  with work with the leviton VRCOP so I can manage my network with installer software for current operating systems.

Elk M1
Elk M1xslw
Leviton Vrusb Stick

Thanks for any ideas

As Pete indicated there is a M1 plugin for HomeSeer (it's not Beta anymore even though the thread on the HS forum indicates that).  I don't use that particular plugin, but I use quite a few others written by UtlraJones and he provides excellent support.  HS3 supports a generic z-wave serial interface, so the VRCOP should work that way.  Best way to confirm is to download the trial version and try it.   

Cheers
Al

Vera support had to login and fix problems with the pluin weekly. That was 18 months ago for my Vera Lite U15

I just downloaded the Trial version of HS3 and I do not see a pluin for Elk. I will give Homseer a call.

Thanks

I just got off the phone with Homeseer.

They recommend that I order HS3 and a Smart Stick. The HS3 does have a plugin for Elk (just not listed on the trial software). Also the HS3 will interface with my Leviton VRCOP controller. The Smart Stick will allow me to use any current Microsoft PC Software ifor nstallation of devices.

Thank you all for your comments as this allowed me to ask the correct questions when I order .

liberty said:
I have had it with Leviton products and support.
Software has never been their strong suit.  Come to think about it, hardware isn't sometimes either.

liberty said:
Vera support had to login and fix problems with the pluin weekly. That was 18 months ago for my Vera Lite U15

That is very strange.  I've had zero issues with the Elk plugin -- only with the stability of Vera itself (which was largely resolved by a transition from Vera Lite to Vera Edge).

Checked the plugins set up here on my two HS3 boxes and see the M1 stuff.  BTW; one of the first 3rd party plugins I utilized were Ultra's Homeseer plugins in the early 2000's.  My two Homeseer 2 boxes are running on Windows Server today and my two Homeseer 3 boxes are running on Linux.  You can go mini RPi2 Linux today with HS3.  They were the very first company to port their Windows automation software to the RPi.  I purchased one and was thrilled with it.  I have since upgraded it to a RPi2.  That might be all you need for your automation stuff with the M1. 

Elk has been around forever as I still have a few Moose devices here from yesteryear that work just fine today.

There are a few folks here today using first generation Omni combination security / automation from the 1990's that work fine still today.

BTW here have the Vera controller gen 2 or gen 3.  I did try it for a bit sometime or another. 

Plugins are plug n play installation.  The current Z-Wave drivers are the fastest to date.

M1-Plugin.jpg

liberty said:

Elk M1
Elk M1xslw
Leviton Vrusb Stick

Thanks for any ideas

im confused as to what you're looking for here.  VRC0P is just a secondary controller, so why not just pick up the Leviton VRCPG?

in your current setup, the VRUSB is your master controller, which replicates to the VRC0P as a secondary controller.  so you can just replace the VRUSB with the VRCPG and call it a day.  and since the VRCPG is handheld, you can take the OS out of the equation altogether.

The big question for any PC based controller Z-Wave controller software would be synchronization with VRC0P+3 as secondary controller and any wall controllers. If HomeSeer can update the VRC0P+3, then Elk plugin is not required. Really what we need is a replacement for RFIT without all the HA infrastructure (i.e., Z-Troller light).

For me the hassle of having a secondary HA system and separate rules is not worth pain as compared to buy a cheap Win7 laptop. I have a cheap laptop setup just with RFIT. IMHO, this will be less hassle then getting a second HA system. Once Elk Z-Wave is installed, it just works. I haven’t touched my configuration in over six months (knock on wood).

It’s about time to call Leviton again and complain about lack of RFIT upgrades. If enough people call, I don’t think they can keep ignoring us.

Personally, I would not buy a VRCPG as the hardware/firmware is quite old. The controller does not support locks. Also, the diagnostics are very simple.

What is needed is for Leviton to either say they have stopped RFIT development or another Z-Wave manufacturer to provide a Vizia+ installation program that understands the entire lineup of Vizia+ devices (this includes wall zone/scene controllers). I agree this really sucks. Vizia+ switches are not cheap - especially if have have 35 switches :). By not updating RFIT, they will ultimately lose sales to other lighting/control technologies.

I keep pinging AutomatedOutlet to contact Leviton, but the word is Leviton support is non-responsive. AO should have some pull since I suspect they sell Vizia+ products.

What sucks is that Leviton does not seem to understand that customers/home owners paid a good amount (thousands of $$$), and the support does not match Vizia+ product price point. I didn’t buy the HomeDepot $35 version – I bought the commercial version.  I should receive a better level of service.

I tried the VRCPG. It did not support locks or I could not get it to support locks. Returned the product to the seller.

Back