Anyone jumped ship from HAI yet?

john999

I have had an OmniPro II in my home for about 5 years now, and when I first started, everything was well integrated and ran well. Fast forward 5 years, and I now have 10 different iPhone apps to run the various technology in my home--almost nothing integrates directly with the OPII except for the UPB lighting.

Now, I am moving homes and likely making another significant investment into HA technology, but I am having a hard time believing that HAI & UPB is the way to go. It is expensive and HAI/Leviton doesn't seem interested in further developing the product (which is also a bit of a dinosaur compared to the current technology, although I have to admit it is a very stable system).

Meanwhile products like the $100 Smartthings integrate with just about every technology out there and with a number of manufacturers supporting the technology (mostly Z-Wave) the prices are considerably cheaper.

Has anyone found themselves moving to a more modern system rather than continuing to invest in the HAI ecosystem and care to share their experience?

I'm having exactly the same thoughts and right now trying to integrate smartthings with the HAI investment that I've already made in UPB devices. I'm tired of seeing all the new "flash" stuff and then having to either say "can't do that" or have to come up with some sort of kludge workaround. Wish that Leviton would S$&% or get off the pot as far as new integration support even if it means moving to the OPIII.... 

Not sure that I would take it all with me if I move...

Matt

No plans to give up HAI here. You can just add a software controller like CQS or Homeseer to integrate it with the "fluff stuff". HAI panel is the hardware controller, and a pretty robust one. Elk is another option if you want to go with RadioRA for lighting.

Glad I'm not the only one. So if you have to make the investment all over again, given what is now available, what do you choose?

Here very happy with the OmniPro 2 panel.  I have not had any issues with integration to UPB, X10, Zigbee or Z-Wave.

Note that Zigbee and Z-Wave integrates fine except for said devices / sensors that are excluded and not necessary with the OmniPro 2 panel.  (I used OmniPro wired / wireless sensors only)

Personally I wouldn't have any security dependencies on wireless Zigbee or Z-Wave sensors; but that is me.

Relating to integration with the OP2 panel to the Amazon Echo / cloud / Smarthings ; it is optional here and not necessary for automation/security. It tested it to work fine and I can turn it on or off at will; like my smartphones / tablets today (just tools for me with no dependences).

I am not tethered to my smartphone nor the cloud for automation / security stuff.  IE: have Android, iPhone, Windows mobile phones and just plug SIM card for the phone du jour of the day.

Over the years have used Homeseer 2 and 3 HAI OmniPro integration as an addendum to the automation. 

Relating to leaving it in an old home; I wouldn't bother as it is well beyond the scope of most seller / buyer entities to even understand the basics of the Leviton OmniPro panel security or automation.  IE: if it is beyond their tethered smart phone use.  Note this is my opinion from experience.

Leave the wiring in place, remove the automated switches and tell them the security / wired base is there for ADT installation.

So what is the benefit of the OP2 if you have to use homeseer with it? The OP2 doesn't support my Trane Z-wave t-stat, doesn't support scheduled access codes for z-wave locks, doesn't support Sonos, doesn't support Alexa, doesn't support the harmony remote, and the camera integration is also poor IMO. You have to use a number of workarounds or additional equipment to come up with a half-baked solution for a number of great new HA items that are starting to become more popular.

The OP2 used to be the main controller for everything, but now it just seems like an overpriced alarm, and I am having a hard time justifying any further investment into this system.

Someone please tell me why I shouldn't use a basic alarm system that integrates with a more modern controller and switch to z-wave for lighting/non-security items.

john999 said:
So what is the benefit of the OP2 if you have to use homeseer with it? The OP2 doesn't support my Trane Z-wave t-stat, doesn't support scheduled access codes for z-wave locks, doesn't support Sonos, doesn't support Alexa, doesn't support the harmony remote, and the camera integration is also poor IMO. You have to use a number of workarounds or additional equipment to come up with a half-baked solution for a number of great new HA items that are starting to become more popular.

The OP2 used to be the main controller for everything, but now it just seems like an overpriced alarm, and I am having a hard time justifying any further investment into this system.

Someone please tell me why I shouldn't use a basic alarm system that integrates with a more modern controller and switch to z-wave for lighting/non-security items.
It sounds as if you've already selected your end devices (Trane t-stat, Zwave locks, sonos, etc.) and are backing into why the OPII doesn't work for what's been selected. 

However, if you go the other approach, select a panel first (e.g. OPII)... you can find equivalent capability in devices that are supported. The OPII provides thermostat integration (RC-1000), scheduled access code for locks (electronic strike), whole-home audio (HiFi2), and so on. 

drvnbysound said:
It sounds as if you've already selected your end devices (Trane t-stat, Zwave locks, sonos, etc.) and are backing into why the OPII doesn't work for what's been selected. 

However, if you go the other approach, select a panel first (e.g. OPII)... you can find equivalent capability in devices that are supported. The OPII provides thermostat integration (RC-1000), scheduled access code for locks (electronic strike), whole-home audio (HiFi2), and so on. 

Yes, except none of those items can be easily added to a home after its built and its all old tech. Also most variable speed HVAC systems (including mine) require their proprietary t-stat. 

This is exactly the problem I am trying to avoid--being forced into a very small ecosystem where you are limited by the available options.

I'm shocked more people haven't given up on this and found something more modern and capable (or everyone is just too far into it to justify starting over)

So what is the benefit of the OP2 if you have to use homeseer with it?

The OP2 works fine without Homeseer.  Homeseer software is an addendum to the OmniPro2. 

doesn't support Sonos, doesn't support Alexa, doesn't support the harmony remote, and the camera integration is also poor IMO.

Sonos is just a wireless audio system with big budget advertising.  Alexa and the harmony remote are just consoles to automation, much like a smart phone is today.  I have all of my IP cameras integrated just fine with my Omnitouch 5.7 and 5.7e touchscreens.

The options for the old Omnipro lighting control are way beyond any niche Hub system that only uses 1-2-3 wireless automation devices like Zigbee, Z-Wave and WLAN.   Only software comes close.  I consider the Omnipro 2 panel a multi automation controller on steroids.

ISY994iZ with the Zwave board option, and an Elk alarm system that natively integrates with it.

It's a little 2.5W box that has it all integrated inside and will interface to almost everything via Ethernet modules. Many are running RPis to expand it further to strange brand stats and other peripherals.

Check price and capabilities at the UDI forum. Right now the latest firmware is struggling to get the bugs out of the Zwave interface. However the latest v4 works fine I am told. I do not use any Zwave. Insteon is much more reliable.

john999 said:
I'm shocked more people haven't given up on this and found something more modern and capable (or everyone is just too far into it to justify starting over)
 Maybe because there is nothing "more modern and capable" available yet. And the new is not always better than old. Think polyester vs wool :)

Back