[Article] Google Acquires Nest Thermostat Company

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Can't say I'm surprised, but Google just announced that they are acquiring the company Nest Labs, famous for their really nice looking thermostats.  In case you didn't know, the Nest thermostat was designed by the same individual responsible for the original iPod design.

It will be interesting if Google will be neglecting/abandoning the product SageTV style (yes, I'm still clinging on to my SageTV setup), or if they will be coming out with their own version, with a more open API.

MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA – JANUARY 13, 2014 — Google Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOG) announced today that it has entered into an agreement to buy Nest Labs, Inc. for $3.2 billion in cash.

Nest’s mission is to reinvent unloved but important devices in the home such as thermostats and smoke alarms. Since its launch in 2011, the Nest Learning Thermostat has been a consistent best seller--and the recently launched Protect (Smoke + CO Alarm) has had rave reviews.

Larry Page, CEO of Google, said: “Nest’s founders, Tony Fadell and Matt Rogers, have built a tremendous team that we are excited to welcome into the Google family. They’re already delivering amazing products you can buy right now--thermostats that save energy and smoke/CO alarms that can help keep your family safe. We are excited to bring great experiences to more homes in more countries and fulfill their dreams!”

Tony Fadell, CEO of Nest, said: “We’re thrilled to join Google. With their support, Nest will be even better placed to build simple, thoughtful devices that make life easier at home, and that have a positive impact on the world.”

Nest will continue to operate under the leadership of Tony Fadell and with its own distinct brand identity. The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions, including the receipt of regulatory approvals in the US. It is expected to close in the next few months.

About Google Inc.

Google is a global technology leader focused on improving the ways people connect with information. Google’s innovations in web search and advertising have made its website a top internet property and its brand one of the most recognized in the world.

Click here to view the article

I am thinking Google will take whatever it wants from the purchase and discard what it doesn't want because it can; nothing else; there is no grey area; its just a black and white view (guess a bit antiquated thinking).

Personally here and related to the "use" of the cloud; it works for many folks these days for just about anything and its cheap and easy.

My preferences relating to automation is to be a bit more self sufficient; but its a hobby for me.  I am selfish and do not want to share my stuff on the internet (other than the typing I am doing right now) or even run my stuff based on some software or OS running in the cloud.  But I am old fashioned and still prefer to read a hardcover book rather than a virtual book on my tablet.

Unrelated to OP but related to Google.

Curious what I keep seeing "www.google-analytics.com" on the bottom of whatever browser I happen to be using whether its in Wintel or in Linux these days.  Its very quick; such that I have to be staring at the bottom of the browser; otherwise I do not catch it.

I do not see this though on the tablets though.

$3.2 billion dollars!!! for a less than 4 year old company

Ticket to riches = come out with semi-green device that's connected to the cloud, wait to be purchased by Google

Back