[Article] Ube KickStarter Campaign Update

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Only 15 days left before the Ube Wi-Fi Smart Dimmer KickStarter campaign comes to a close. There are over 1,000 backers, and the campaign is very close to reaching its goal ($215,642 pledged of the $280,000 goal).

If you aren't familiar with the Ube smart dimmers, I highly recommend you check them out, and back this campaign if you have a remote interest in home automation.

This product is the proverbial kick in the pants the home automation industry really needed.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to post them, Utz Baldwin is a member here, and is more than willing to answer any questions you may have.

They are also giving away a free room pack.  You can enter this contest by liking them on Facebook.  See this post for more information.

Click here to view the article

Is there a limit to the number of switches on a router ? I currently have 70 switches UPB (HAI), and moving to a new house.. wondering if I go this router rather than re-duplicating my previous installation (OMNI HAI + UPB switches).

One idea was to go wi-fi all the way : thermostats (Nest), Light switches (UBE), etc...

yaredna said:
Is there a limit to the number of switches on a router ? I currently have 70 switches UPB (HAI), and moving to a new house.. wondering if I go this router rather than re-duplicating my previous installation (OMNI HAI + UPB switches).

One idea was to go wi-fi all the way : thermostats (Nest), Light switches (UBE), etc...

This is covered in another ube thread here, but the short answer is no, you can't put 70 wifi devices on a single wifi setup.  work2play outlined the reason for this in that post.  You would need to have multiple wifi access points running on different channels and split up the devices keeping the number down around 20 or so per wifi access point.

Automate said:
The 49ers are building a Wifi network for 68,500 fans with less than 1500 access points. Many of the fans will be high bandwidth streaming users.
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/03/the-49ers-plan-to-build-the-greatest-stadium-wi-fi-network-of-all-time/

That is pretty amazing.  But there are problems.  It only works if people are using 5ghz, which they figure will be the case in 2 years when it opens, but at this time most use 2.4.  Also, they are using fancier protocols that aren't in consumer devices yet, and what I bet is some seriously high end equipment.  I guess you would need to ask what frequency and formats the ube is going to have available and if you are ready to also install similarly capable access points in your home.

My bet is, that most of people would end up doing what work2play discussed.  Using multiple low power access points scattered around the house and where close to each other, put onto non-overlapping channels.

The one thing that jumped out at me was the fact that these switches only need the standard two wires - making it appear that no common wire is required.  If I understand this correctly, then this technology will have a leg up on other wireless switch technology that requires the common wire for data transmission.  This is especially true if you are wanting to replace switches in old construction vs putting them in with new construction.

sic0048 said:
The one thing that jumped out at me was the fact that these switches only need the standard two wires - making it appear that no common wire is required.  If I understand this correctly, then this technology will have a leg up on other wireless switch technology that requires the common wire for data transmission.  This is especially true if you are wanting to replace switches in old construction vs putting them in with new construction.

The other switches don't use the neutral wire for data, it is used as the neutral for the power that the switch itself uses waiting for a command.  Without a neutral, the only other way to power the device itself would be to use ground or allow some current to trickle through the fixture.  Both of these solutions have problems.  I suppose it could also have a battery.  I don't know that ube doesn't require a neutral, where do you see that spec?

NickTheGreat said:
What is the advantage of a WiFi switch over my Z Wave ones?  Not needing a controller? 

That is what they told me when I met them at SXSW last month.  They spoke of the controllers as "dongles" with sort of an expression of distaste on his face as he said the word.

Lou Apo said:
That is what they told me when I met them at SXSW last month.  They spoke of the controllers as "dongles" with sort of an expression of distaste on his face as he said the word.

Something has to control it though.  :blink:

NickTheGreat said:
Something has to control it though.  :blink:

That would be the software that they consider their main business.  They only designed this switch as a way to promote their software.  As per my conversation with Utz at SXSW they plan on selling Ube once it gets going.

Thanks for the reference guys... Glad that was helpful.  

I really need to do a news article but I'm not sure I still can with the total site redesign...  but something new just came out that may change everything.  Ubiquiti just announced a new addition to their UniFi line that will change the landscape of Wifi.

The idea isn't necessarily new but before it only existed in really high-end [expensive] systems.  As in my previous post, the problems come down to channel saturation and cross interference and crappy handoffs between AP's.  Too many and they interfere with each other; there aren't enough channels to keep everyone separate; and if you try to increase density by adding more AP's and turning down the power, you have roaming issues.  Well that just changed.

With 3.0 of UniFi, they've changed how it works - no longer do you need to scatter your AP's across the 3 non-overlapping channels (yes - out of 11 channels, only 3 are totally non-overlapping - the rest fall in the middle somewhere causing interference for the channels around them).  What they're doing now is having all the AP's on the same channel and they decide which one is listening to that client device by who's got the best signal.  This means  in theory you can install 100 AP's all on the same channel and they'll never interfere with each other - and because the client device never has to reassociate, there's no roaming issues or lost packets while switching from one AP to another, along with the other issues I described in my original post.

If this works as advertised, it's a game changer.  It'll fix the reasons VOIP over WIFI sucks in a large environment (wifi phones don't handle changing associated AP's gracefully during a call) and it'll fix many of the roaming/association issues that come from any environment with multiple AP's required to cover a single space.

So - I say go with all the wireless devices you want - then keep adding new UAP's near groups of devices - start with 3 if you have 70 devices; maybe go up to 4 - and you'll be able to handle well over a hundred wifi devices without a second thought at speeds like you never imagined - and you should be future proofed for the next 5-10 years of wifi evolution as 802.11ac starts to catch on to laptops and mobile devices.

Oh and that stadium article was interesting - I skimmed over some of it last week - but what I got from it was that they touted their credentials a bit and talked about what they should be able to do and how they architected the network layer and broadband aspect, but when it came to actually accomplishing the Wifi RF aspect, details seemed to get shady like they were still trying to figure out exactly how to accomplish what they're after... they have a mission and have part of it worked out, but it sure sounded like they were BSing their way through the details.  I can't wait to see how it turns out though!  It could set the landscape for city-wide deployments.

Lou Apo said:
That would be the software that they consider their main business.  They only designed this switch as a way to promote their software.  As per my conversation with Utz at SXSW they plan on selling Ube once it gets going.

Oh that's interesting.  They are already planning to exit the hardware business and they've barely started.

Back