[Articles] CEDIA: Yale ZigBee/Z-Wave lock

CT Droid

CT Bot
Yale announced 2 new deadbolt locks, which supports both Z-Wave and ZigBee.  The higher end model contains an outdoor rated capacitive touchscreen, while the 'low end' model uses push buttons.  You can see the lock in action by checking out the CEDIA EXPO 2010 video.  I personally prefer the cheaper model with push buttons due to the tactile feedback, but the capacitive touchscreen model definitely has a 'cool factor'.  While I was told it is ZigBee Pro based, I haven't been able to confirm yet if this hardware is compatible with the 'ZigBee Home Automation' profile, or if it only supports Control4's proprietary ZigBee implementation (since Control4's 2.0 UI supports it out of the box, and it was on display in the Control4 booth).

The lock employs 128-bit encryption in both Z-Wave and ZigBee environments, supports up to 250 users, and comes with voice assisted programming in English, French and Spanish.

The lock will be available for purchase in Spring 2011 via various dealers and retail channels.  It will retail between $200-$400.

yale_keypad.jpg
yale_touchscreen.jpg
IMG_6430.jpg
IMG_6433.jpg

View the full article

Back