• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

ASP Help

harleydude

I have a header.asp file located in the root directory of my website. This file contains the title and navigation areas for the site. I call the file from other pages using:

<!--#include file="header.asp"-->

I have now added a /news directory that runs .asp pages associated with news application I have installed. I would like to include the header.asp file in these pages as well. However, when I include this file, the links on the navigation bar do not work and the graphics do not show since the loaded file is actually in the /news directory. The links are defined in the header file as follows:

<a href="default.asp">Home</a>

How can I make the header.asp file point to the right locations no matter what directory the calling file is located in?

Rick

CFGuy

Start your link url from the root directory.

Change this:
<a href="default.asp">Home</a>

to:
<a href="/default.asp">Home</a>

The / tells the web server to start at the root (html) directory and work its way from there.
When there is no / the web server looks in the same directory the the current file is in.

For example, if you had a file in a directory called news that you wanted a link to you would do something like this.

<a href="/news/default.asp">Todays News</a>