• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

Audio problems with new LG BD-370 Blu Ray and my Receiver

jwilson56

Well it looks like I have a new problem to overcome. I have an older Sony ES receiver for my home theater system. Up till now it has served me well even when I hooked up my Toshiba HD-DVD player. My audio connection has always been a TOSlink optical cable.

Well I setup my new LG BD-370 Blu Ray player and hooked it up to my Samsung 56" DLP HDTV via HDMI and to my Sony receiver via the TOSlink and after doing a quick firmware update I tossed in the new Star Trek movie. Everything worked great. The picture and sound were awesome.

Next I tossed in the Serenity which was the second disk I bought with the unit. The menus came up fine and the sound worked. I hit the play button and the movie started but no sound. I then went back into the setup menu and low and behold it was set to DTS-HD with no other option for sound. I guess they assume your going to upgrade your receiver to get this to work. I can understand having the option for better sound but would it hurt them to include DD 5.1?

So now it looks like I am in the market for a new receiver. I have looked over a few websites but I still am not sure if I can get away with using TOSlink to get all my sound from any Blu Ray disk to work. I would be more than happy with DD 5.1 and standard DTS. This is what one website said:

For DTS-HD

"Toslink or Coaxial SPDIF - Because SPDIF cannot transmit a full DTS-HD HR signal, the player will extract the DTS core and send the bitstream for that instead."

If anyone knows this to be true and that I can use TOSlink optical to get DD5.1 and DTS with ALL Blu Ray disks please let me know. Someone I know offered me a good deal on a used Onkyo TX-SR605 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver and I would like to figure out if I can get this to work without going to HDMI to the receiver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Also any suggestions on a decent receiver that can be controlled very well with discreet IR codes would be welcomed

Thanks

jwilson56

Well I purchased the Onkyo TX-SR707 and have to say I am pleased. Getting it setup right now and then I will dig into the RS-232 control.