Automated locks

IVB

You guys know i'm just as big a fan of automation for automation's sake as the next guy, but i'm struggling to see the point of the current crop of zWave locks.   It looks like they're all already keypad/key locks. I have one that big sans zWave (picture of mine done before I repainted door). It seems that the only thing a zWave lock would buy me is the ability to detect & set lock-state from a PC or keyfob. But given that a human still needs to physically open the door, I'm not comprehending the value of spending an extra $150 (they're $250 vs $100 for an identical one without zWave)

I was hoping to find something of a much smaller footprint, ie a regular deadbolt. Or, find a compelling reason to detect/set lock state from a PC or keyfob.

That link is busted, looks like it's from a private Google+ account?

As far as automated locks, I'm not sure I follow you.  You already have an automated lock and are looking for a newer Z-Wave one?

As far as automated locks in general, advantages are:

1. Knowing when someone is home
  2. Not worrying about keys
  3. Able to lock and unlock remotely (for letting say repair people in)
  4. Knowing your door is locked
  5. Able to use as triggers for other automation and security tasks

Ooops, it's set to My Circles for visibility.

I need to replace the deadbolt, wondering what I'd do with zwave beyond just regular keypad/deadbolt. It's for the backdoor, already have a keypad lock on the front door.

Also for the advantages, I already have 1 via Elk integration, 2 with the keypad. 3 is a non issue for us as we live in Oakland so nobody is allowed in or out unless someone is home. I can't think of any events on a door lock or unlock that I don't get via the Elk, what do people do?

Most important is #4, being able to check remotely that your door is locked and if not then lock it.  Also being able to do that automatically for you say when your alarm is armed Away and you don't lock it within the exit delay time.  Beyond that, it doesn't give you that much over a door sensor with alarm integration if you always use your alarm and can set different user codes to differentiate persons.  Also you can program user codes to only be valid for certain schedules, like so your wife can't get in when your girlfriend is over.

The biggest thing for us was to be able to remotely check if it was locked, like from the bedroom at night, and trigger events from lock and unlock. I dont have any motions installed so the entry lights came on if it was night and the door was unlocked.

With mine we:

Check lock status when panel is armed, and if unlocked will lock after countdown.
If someone enters the front door with a code, it automatically disarms the panel (great for kids and grandma)
Checks status at 11:00 and locks if not already locked.
Can unlock remotely in an emergency
I know who the last user was
Can set off other automation tasks depending on who unlocks the door.

Just some of the actions

George M

I set mine to lock after a period of time, lock at night, and lock when I leave. 

I agree with the above... it'd be nice to be able to check the status of your locks or automatically lock them and also to get alerts.  My kids are just getting old enough to be able to open the doors if they wanted - if I had z-wave I'd be tempted to set it up so I get a chime when they unlock the door.  But - I haven't been able to justify the cost yet so I'm still using the Morning Industries ones.

We typically don't allow people in our home if we're not here - but with kids' parties and events, there have been a handful of times lately when we're leaving a kid's birthday party out and reconvening at the house - and some people will beat us home (grabbing ice or settling the tab).  They're close enough friends that we'd be comfortable having one text us when they get to the door then remotely unlocking it for them and disarming. 

For family, they have alarm codes and keys of their own so that's less of an issue.

Remember, you don't need wireless locks to alert you when a door is unlocked. Alarm off + Door not ready = Door unlocked

Thanks for the replies. For us, there's no chance of us leaving door unlocked given our location in a semi-urban neighborhood. We live in a very yuppie part of Oakland, but it's still a city.

It might be nice to disarm the system with the same code as entry, but I think that's my only possible use case.

George M said:
With mine we:

Check lock status when panel is armed, and if unlocked will lock after countdown.
If someone enters the front door with a code, it automatically disarms the panel (great for kids and grandma)
Checks status at 11:00 and locks if not already locked.
Can unlock remotely in an emergency
I know who the last user was
Can set off other automation tasks depending on who unlocks the door.

Just some of the actions

George M
What lock are you using that knows if a code was entered or not?

I have the Kwikset ones, and they just report when they are locked/unlocked. It would not recommend the above with my setup... if it was somehow manually unlocked by intruder the panel would also be disarmed.

IVB said:
Thanks for the replies. For us, there's no chance of us leaving door unlocked given our location in a semi-urban neighborhood. We live in a very yuppie part of Oakland, but it's still a city. It might be nice to disarm the system with the same code as entry, but I think that's my only possible use case.

Regarding using the same code....
Just realize that many of the locks have 5 buttons for the numerical keypad, with 2 numbers grouped together for each number - this greatly reduces the number of combinations that could possibly be used to open your front door.

The reason I got them was for the remote access functionality. If I need a serviceman to come over and perform work while I am not home (hasn't happened yet), or in the event that I need to allow friends/family in... I don't have to give anyone a key [for them to lose].

drvnbysound said:
What lock are you using that knows if a code was entered or not?

I have the Kwikset ones, and they just report when they are locked/unlocked. It would not recommend the above with my setup... if it was somehow manually unlocked by intruder the panel would also be disarmed.
Actually I misspoke on that. It is from Elk that I know the last user. I am using the Schlage lock. It does report the user, however I am using the Elk Driver through CQC and Elk does not support that info yet. I'm still hoping they add it to the firmware.

Back