automating garage door

There are several threads here that discuss this if you search. One is this one. All you need is a garage door mag contact and an unused output/relay to trigger the opener.

noshali said:
Please let me know how you connected the wrires etc to the elk from the garage door. I mean what wire from the garage go to what connector etc. I know this might be bery basic but I am so lost.
Just a 2 conductor wire. On the M1 side, I use the relay board M1RB. 1 wire to common, other to Normally Open (N/O) contact. On the other end, the 2 wires go to the 2 screw terminals that the door button is attached to. When the output is turned on (mine is 'Turn Output XYZ on for 3 seconds') it applies power to the wire and triggers the door opener. Each time you turn the output on is like pressing the button to operate the door. Just make sure to only turn output on for a few seconds.

Relays can be complex but think of them very simply. They are essentially a switch that is controlled by a coil. The Normally Open (N/O) contact is just that - open when there is no power to the coil. The Normally Closed (N/C) contact is closed when there is no power to the coil. When power is applied to the coil, as in turning an output on, the relay switches so that the Normally Open Contact now becomes closed. Does that make sense? If not, have a look at this or google other sites. Don't worry, there is a lot to learn, just keep reading and asking questions.

Edit: BTW, I also have a mag contact on the door and do similar to David. When door is open an F key blinks. When F key is pressed, door(output turns on) toggles. I also have a picture of my door that displays on my touch screen when the door is open. The auto close is a good idea but I usually see if the door is open when I set the alarm at night. I need to add new features!

I was reading this reply of yours. However, I don't know if I can do it since I only have 4 conductors(2 pairs) going to 2 different overhead sensors. It's going to be tough to run wire in this stage because everything has been drywalled.

Am I correct that the output should not use the wire that we used for the overhead sensors?

You can use any available wire but it does not sound like you have them. Sounds like you have the door sensors covered, you just need to get a pair from the Elk outputs to either the overhead opener or the button on the wall. If wires are not an option, some people have hacked the wireless door opener piece to send the rf signal with contact closure.

Steve said:
You can use any available wire but it does not sound like you have them. Sounds like you have the door sensors covered, you just need to get a pair from the Elk outputs to either the overhead opener or the button on the wall. If wires are not an option, some people have hacked the wireless door opener piece to send the rf signal with contact closure.
Ah! I ran 2 pairs of CAT5 if I recall correctly. However. I need to add about 10 ft of wire to reach the garage door opener. :p

So reading the thread, looks like I need to open the garage door opener near the laundry/garage door. Can you tell me exactly which terminals I need to connect from the opener to the M1?

v1rtu0s1ty said:
So reading the thread, looks like I need to open the garage door opener near the laundry/garage door. Can you tell me exactly which terminals I need to connect from the opener to the M1?
LOL, read the first paragraph of the quote above. You can attach direct to the GDO unit, or the button.

Steve said:
v1rtu0s1ty said:
LOL, read the first paragraph of the quote above. You can attach direct to the GDO unit, or the button.
:p hehehe, I'm getting old, bad eyes, LOL, kidding.

Anyways, I was reading the other thread and Spanky mentioned that OUTPUT3 can be used instead. Is it true that I can hook up the wire to the OUTPUT3 to the GDO? If so, all I need to buy is a garage door sensor. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Neil

Yes, you can use any available output. I use external relay board because my Output3 is used for the strobe. Plus next thing you want a relay for you will be into an external board to. So as soon as you get to sprinklers or something, you will need relays.

Hi Steve,

As promised, attached are the pictures. So looks like all I have to do is connect the 2 screws to the either the NO and COMM on Output 3 then I'm all set. Am I correct? I also need to purchase a garage overhead door sensor, any recommendations?

Attachments

• garagedooropener.jpg
    garagedooropener.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 63
I would check into it further before you just hook up wires. It looks like you have a light, a lock, and the button is probably a toggle (same button to open and close). Maybe see where the wires go to the operator to determine if they do what you really want them to do.

To be safe connect the COM on the M1 to the NEG on the button and the Output from the M1 to the POS on the button. It looks like you have 2 doors/openers. You would need to use another output (separate output for each door you want to control). I use this contact switch. Actually, this looks like a new version of one I use (59A).

It doesn't say negative or positive however, it does say what color to use. If we use the color coding, RED is always a positive. Does everyone concur?

Attachments

• gdo_closeup.jpg
    gdo_closeup.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 8
You need the M1XOVR or M1RB to use anything (like relay control) past 3. The others are there but can only be used as phantom outputs without an expansion board.

Back