• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

best US based mini-itx store?

electron

Administrator
Staff member
I am trying to find an nice online dealer with good pricing, but most of them don't have any of the new boards in stock, or aren't based in the US. Any suggestions?

smee

I got my M9000 from www.newegg.com but I haven't seen them there for a while. It looks like www.directron.com has some (but I don't know if they've got what you're looking for). I've ordered from directron before - just not mini-ITX motherboards.

I don't understand why these boards are so hard to find in the US (and maybe elsewhere). It may just be that they (VIA) are pouring them into OEM applications and not letting many out for end users. There are more places with them if you are willing to buy one with a case (www.caseoutlet.com, for example).

Micah

I was looking at getting one last year and it seemed like there were a bunch more distributors in the US then. Not sure where they all went.

VIA only lists 5 now on their webpage. That sucks!

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Directron doesn't have the one in stock I am looking at, the only other source with a good reputation is mini-box.com. CaseOutlet is pretty good too but I don't need a case (going to try to build my own).

smee

BraveSirRobbin said:
Would this lack of product availability maybe have anything to do with the new ATX formats that are due out?
I don't really think so. VIA seems to have done a good job convincing people that this is a good form factor (board and case manufacturers). By the time you are this small, I think a lot of solutions are custom, anyway. These aren't the motherboards that your average computer user is going to buy to replace an old one.

Rupp

The general PC buying population isn't looking for a PC that small so supply and demand more than likely drives the market no?

smee

I think the primary end-user market is the market that doesn't even realize that the board inside the box is a PC. The boards are targeted toward appliance machines - from home-theater boxes and home automation to firewalls and servers. So, the principal market that they are selling to is the OEMs who produce these end-user boxes. Those of us who build PCs with them are just extra.

If you look at the various boards that VIA is making, you'll see things like multiple network connections.

Rupp

Are these 12 volt systems or do you have to install a power converter in the car?

electron

Administrator
Staff member
the mini-itx boards accept regular ATX powersupplies, so you can use an inverter in the car, but that just not that efficient and safe (the system would reboot when cranking the car etc), but many people do this anyways. I went with a 90W opus power supply, which is a DC-DC 12V power suply, and has a shutdown controller integrated, voltage regulator etc, not cheap, but worth it in the long run.

I will also try to integrate some of the car functionality into the touch screen interface, such as opening the garage door (auto open when within WiFi range or something like that), control the trunk release button, just have to come up with a contraption either serial or parallel to contol several outputs.

harleydude

Have you tried SolarPC, they are based in CA and have a selection of Lilliput LCD's and power supplies for all type of applications. Use the link to thier store for listing of all products.

Rick

electron

Administrator
Staff member
I actually tried buying from them before for my job, but they were very weird and took forever to respond to sales inquiries, I will check it out again , just in case they have the board I want, I forgot about them. Thanks!