bluetooth emulator?

wkearney99

I've got a Mr. Steam shower setup and it has an option for audio using Bluetooth sources (like a phone or IOS device).  I'm wondering whether there exists software to allow emulating such a thing using a PC?  As in, have the PC pretend to be a bluetooth controllable audio source.

I don't have the audiowiz module yet.  So I can't testify what features it does or doesn't support.  But it's manual does show supporting Prev, Next, Play and Pause along with having it's own internal amp for volume +/-.   Seems a bit of overkill to spend for this but it does integrate into the touchscreen panel in the shower.

Now, if I had one of these units I'd consider hacking into the control wiring to figure out just what it's sending for the controls.  But I don't have one and haven't seen the protocols documented anywhere.  I'm willing to shell out to get the functionality, especially since I already have the steam/waterproof control already in the wall.  I've a double-gang keypad just outside the shower in which I'd planned to install a Russound keypad.  But opening the door for control loses the steam.  That and those keypads are neither waterproof nor inexpensive to replace...

I'd like to avoid having to use a separate bluetooth-capable player to do just this.  I'd have to keep it's audio library in-sync with the rest of the house and all that.  But if I had something that ran on, say linux, that might give me a little more flexibility.  Basically just pair with the touchscreen, listen for the media commands and send the audio stream based on tracks stored on the network server.

I don't think this control has any way to display metadata, so the emulation wouldn't require all that.

I've not kept up on the state of Bluetooth devices and development.  So pardon me if I've missed an obvious way to do this.

If I understand you correctly, then any PC or Mac can easily do what you want. Windows Media Player or iTunes can be controlled.  If you want to get more involved, there is software like this that offers more control, but it requires a phone or tablet on the controlling side.
http://www.androidremotepc.com/downloads/ You just need to pair your Bluetooth device and PC/Mac, and it should work fine after that, either with your PC acting as the Bluetooth speakers, or it acting like the Bluetooth media player. It can do either.

Without software, you control functions are pretty limited to a simple forward or back. There are Bluetooth profiles that define what can be controlled and how, but most devices have only implements a subset of these standards.

Back