Bluetooth phone and Wireless Network

JohnWPB

Ok, I just purchased a Mortolla MPx-220 SmartPhone running Windows Mobile 2003. It is bluetooth enabled.

When it is connected to the PC via the USB cable, it shows the DNS and IP address ect. However when it is unplugged, it shows no network available.

So... My question is, can it be used on the network as another device through my wireless router? My pocket PC runs just about the same CE OS as the phone, and I can use active sync to connect through the wireless network to my PC. I would like to do the same with my phone. It would also be very nice to use the local network to bring up HS pages to control stuff.

One other thought I had, is if I CAN get it on the network, it would be a great way for HomeSeer to know if I am home or away. For emample, ping the phone IP address, if detected, I am home, if not then I am out. This could be set to run say run every few minutes or so, and update a virtual device ect.

Any suggestions or ideas on this one?

JohnWPB said:
can it be used on the network as another device through my wireless router?
John, It can be on your network, but not through your wireless router. However, this answer is based on a couple of assumptions:
1) Your wireless router is WiFi (802.11b or 802.11g).
2) Since your phone has Bluetooth, it does not have WiFi.

If the above is correct, then all you should need is a Bluetooth adapter for your HomeSeer computer, a little knowledge of the Windows/Bluetooth API, and enough time to script.

Thanks for the info, but I am still a llittle lost. I guess I was under the wrong assumption that bluetooth / 802.11b were one in the same. I have a Toshiba Pocket PC, and to quote from the features:

The Toshiba e740 is equipped with built-in slots for both Secure Digital (SD) and CompactFlash (CF) memory and module cards. It also features integrated wireless Bluetooth Technology.

Now the PPC is Bluetooth, and it works with my wireless router (802.11b Dlink 640+), why would the phone not being they are both labled as "Bluetooth ready"? Are there 2 types / standards for Bluetooth?.

As I mentioned Bluetooth is something fairly new to me, and I guess I have missuderstood it all along.

John,
They are 2 totally different technologies. You PDA probably is Blue Tooth enabled but more than likely it's not turned on unless you turned it on. The PDA obviously has built in WI-FI or 802.11x radio as well. This is normally turned on by default. What PDA is it.

John, are you sure it is the e740? I had one and it never came with bluetooth, just 802.11b.

Rupp, as mentioned in my post above its a Toshiba e740.

E: Here is the link to the site that I quoted the info above from, they do state that it is BLuetooth AND LAN, now I get what that means, as I understand now they are different. Heres the link. The mention is in the 2nd paragraph.

I honestly thought that they (BT and WiFI) were one in the same. I just lost about 500 geek points, and it will take me a while to get them back!

Now, all that aside, is it feasible, or possible in somewhat of a simple manner, to purchase something to attach to the HS PC and know when the phone is either in the house or not?

This, for me would be a great feature, as I could have HSP immediately pick my personal calls on caller ID detected, and tell the person to call me on my cell phone. It could be used to ensure certain lights are off/on depending on the time of day and who's home, if anyone. EA: If I left, make sure that all the lights in my room, monitor ect are off.

Immagine, coming hope and HS knowing who arrived. My roomate also has a BT enabled phone. This would be the ultimate "Occupancy" sensor, as the phones ALWAYS go with us when we leave. Currently I cant base setting the A/C back, Arming the alarm ect, based on motion sensors. If my roomate is sleeping then there is no motion detected in the house, BUT someone is yet indeed still home, and the A/C had better not be touched! ;)

If a BT enabled phone is not the way to go with this, what is an alternative? I wouldnt mind putting something on my key ring, but would need to cover the entire house. Not like the ibuttons ect, that have a 1-5 foot range. I have even thought about an x10 keyfob, somehow sending signals every 5 minutes or so

<If device last status change is > 7 minutes then set away>

... I just havent come up with a viable sollution yet. Car sensors are out, as we sometimes will take one car to go somewhere....

This is certainly not a nessassety[SP?] but would open up so many ideas on how the HA reacts to a changing enviorment on its own.

Immagine again, I am home alone, and I decide to leave. When I walk out the door, the system knows and acts accordingly.

Hmm. If the phone acts the same when connected via bluetooth (gets an IP and such) as it does when connected via USB, the solution is quite simple.
1. Get a bluetooth adapter for your PC.
2. See if you can give you phone a fixed IP addreess
3. Use one of the many network-monitor plugins/scripts (I use Ultramon) and have it monitor the phones IP address. You can then have your events monitor whether the IP is pingable or not, should not require any additional software.
Of course, this will not work if your phone does not get an IP via bluetooth and/or this IP cannot be made fixed.

I will look into that, thatnks for the suggestions.

As for a static IP, that could probably be gotten around by using the name of the device, instead of the IP in a "search". When pluggged in via USB the network name assigned is "smartphone"

Right now, from my desktop PC, I can go to a dos prompt and type:

Ping mediaserver (The HTPC in the living room)

and it comes up with the results, so even if the IP changes, I should be able to find a way to use the name. I think this can even be done automatically with either the network monitor, or the message server script that I am using both of.

Bluetooth is a networking protocol. So is 802.11b and g and n and a.
Bluetooth has shorter range (~30ft) than any of the others (100s of ft), but takes less power which is why it's attractive for portable devices.
Bluetooth devices can be part of a LAN. Bluetooth also communicates at the 2.4ghz frequency as does 802.11b - which is why it was a concern of conflict if the two radios were in proximity to each other (same with portable telephones and microwave ovens). But, there have been advancements in bluetooth to avoid the conflicts.

Devices aren't usually bluetooth and 802.11b together. But, many a PPC can add a communications device to communicate via either.

802.11g devices will usually also downgrade to work with 802.11b. This is because 11b is much more popular, having been available first. g is faster than b though and gaining popularity. n devices from Belkin were just announced and I have heard good user reports about real fast, with excellent range. Almost upgraded the other night when it went on sale.

Good post David,

My understanding is that bluetooth sniffs out other networks, finds a frw range that's not being used and uses them. It continously adapts to avoid conflicts. (I posted a table that shows 802.11b/g, bluetooth, cordless phones, and wireless A/V senders and what freqs each use somehwere on this site).

I guess the biggest limitation for JohnWPB's idea will be the range, although I know you can buy some hi-end Bluetooth receivers that have 100'+ ranges (rather than the common 30' variety), bt I'm not sure if both devices (the phone and the interface) have to support the long range. I think the most common use of bluetooth on these phones is for wireless headsets, which normally don't have to send a signal more than 2-3 feet.

Anyway JohnWPB, I hope your idea works, This could be a much more practical and economical alternative to using RFID tags (as discussed over at HS concerning beta testing of some new hard/software). Especially since family members - if they all have a bluetooth phone - could be uniquely identified.

Maybe you should patent this idea before someone else submits it to Smarthome and wins $1000 ;)

Back