building a small addition

MikeB

Currently planning to build an addition off the back of our house, where our deck currently is. The addition will be primarily a 3 season room, with a hot tub built into the floor for cooler weather. There will be lots of windows, to create a very open feeling.

I'm not planning on running our existing AC/forced hot air into the room, but may install a propane heater for the occasion we might want to be out there in the winter (I'm located in Massachusetts).

I'm starting to think about what I might want for light/automation, and thought I'd post to try and get some suggestions.

I definitely plan on installing a ceiling fan, plus some kind of ventilation system for the hot tub humidity. I'm thinking recessed lighting and/or wall sconces. I plan on running the typical Cat6 and RG6 out there, along with my wholehouse audio.

I was considering motorized shades, but haven't decided yet. Anything else interesting people have done for a similar type of room?

Not exactly automation, but when my parents did something similar, they put in one of the wall mounted heater/AC units like are in hotels. Works great for that one room.

My HVAC guy suggested something like that, and it's something I was going to look into. I don't think I'll ever want AC out there, but MAYBE the occasional heat. I was actually going to just throw a wood burning stove in there, until I found out that propane would be cheaper due to chimney requirements...

Have you thought about one of the direct vent propane fireplaces? I had one in my last house and it worked great. It had a thermostat controlled fan and would keep the room nice and warm.

With a single room addition I would go with Insteon or a Lutron Ra system. Insteon would be much less expensive and could be combined with any future upgrades. If you wanted to go with more expensive system, the Lutron Grafic eye would be a good single room application, but very expensive.

Have you thought about one of the direct vent propane fireplaces? I had one in my last house and it worked great. It had a thermostat controlled fan and would keep the room nice and warm.

No, but I will check into it. Thanks!!

With a single room addition I would go with Insteon or a Lutron Ra system. Insteon would be much less expensive and could be combined with any future upgrades. If you wanted to go with more expensive system, the Lutron Grafic eye would be a good single room application, but very expensive.

I already have Insteon in my home, so I'll be sticking with that. Thanks!

Back