Building an entertainment center

dolphin

Seriously, how hard would it *really* be? My room needs something that I can store stuff in...right now I've got this wire mesh thing that houses a bunch of stuff but you can see EVERYTHING. My room's kinda small though so it can't be very big. Any ideas? :)

Walmart usually has some really nices on sale, just enough to fit your TV and store some stuff, and priced pretty nicely. A good and cheap quality brand is Sauder, can find it in most stores. What size is your TV?

It's a little one...I'd like to buy a bigger one BEFORE I did the center but I could always get a center and use my little tv until I came up with the money to get the bigger tv.

If space is a problem, you could always buy a nice wall mount for your TV (Home Depot and similar stores carry them), they come in different colors and sizes, and would give you plenty of room.

Speaking of wall mount, I need to get something to hang my new stereo that I'll get tonight (it's the only thing I asked for, I KNOW it's under that tree) on my wall. Can I just get regular shelves and stuff or do they make stereo system things for the wall?

well they sell stereo cabinets, but they are usually pretty expensive, and are around 19" wide, and pretty deep. You are probably better off buying a nice shelf kit from Home Depot (only takes a few screws to put together, and can be stained/painted so it matches your room), they aren't too expensive and looks great.

I may do something like that...I don't want to put the new one where my old one is. The old one is on the bottom level of this mesh thing and I hate that. It's too low and the cords are all jumbled behind it. I'm just not sure where to hang it...I could move my Lucy wall to the other side of the room or behind my bed and hang the stereo right beside my bed.

if it comes with a remote, then you don't even have to mount it that close (or maybe hide the unit in the closet or something, and mount the speakers in the corners of your bedroom)

Ooh! I love that! Course, it won't fit in my closet cause of all the other crap in there, but I could put the base where the old one's base is and just mount the speakers. I'll see what kind it is and then see what I can do with it.

Wahoo! I found a wooden cabinet on ABC that will be PERFECT! It'll fit right beside my bed and I can get rid of the plastic thing I've been using as a dresser. Plus, it'll match my bed! $40 before shipping, which I think is just awesome, plus they'll bill me for it so I don't have to come up with the money right now. Here's a picture:
C2466505013086f_photo.jpg

Nice huh?! :) :D :D

good point about the remote. You could put the unit literally anywhere. And if you loose the remote's signal strength, you could pick up a pair of Pyramids ( they convert IR (remote) signals to RF ( radio type) signals, then on the other end are converted back to IR. So feasibly you could throw the unit in another room and control from bedroom, or where ever.

Where can I find the pyramid, and how much?

dolphin, building your own furniture is MUCH better than the crap you'll buy in stores. They look nice, for awhile, however they're fake. I prefer to build my own stuff when I can. I'm about to build my own entertainment center real soon!

I don't really mind it being fake...it's gonna cost alot more for me to buy the materials and make it. Hopefully, this cabinet will be here today.

Tim said:
Where can I find the pyramid, and how much?

dolphin, building your own furniture is MUCH better than the crap you'll buy in stores. They look nice, for awhile, however they're fake. I prefer to build my own stuff when I can. I'm about to build my own entertainment center real soon!
I believe www.automatedoutlet.com might carry them, if not, he is a member here, and probably can order them for you, you can't beat his pricing and service. X10.com sells them too, and so does Sharper Image.

Back