Building new home from scratch - Looking for best A/V options out there

Good morning, all!  I'm in the process of building a new house (foundation being poured today).  I used to be very into setting up all of my audio and video components whenever I moved somewhere new, but over the last 8+/- years I haven't done too much of it (wife, kids, haven't moved recently, etc.).  Therefore, my knowledge of setting up wireless networks for A/V is pretty limited.  However, I am happy to and capable of reading instructions and putting things together.

With this new house, I'd like to have a great audio/video set-up without paying thousand and thousands to have it done by someone else. 

The biggest thing I'm looking for is the ability to transfer between AppleTV, Cable/Satellite, iTunes, Pandora, Spotify, etc. seamlessly without having to use multiple remotes or explain it to my wife every time she wants to do something.  I'd like to be able to just hit "Pandora" on my iphone or ipad and have my receiver and speakers automatically start playing.  If I then want to move to watching a movie via AppleTV, I'd like the TV to go on and then the audio to switch to surround sound.  I'm not even sure if I *really* need the lights to dim for movie time.  Perhaps down the road I'd like the automated lighting/security/etc., but it's not a necessity right now.

I'd also like to play music in a few different zones (TV room, kitchen, patio to start).  I'd like to be able to control those zones via iphone / ipad.

I orginally met with a few professional home automation installers who suggested i) Control 4 and ii) the Total Control systems.  However, I was blown away at the pricing for their services.  I could see paying $3k-$5k, but these guys were $10k-$18k+.

So, I'm now looking to see what the best options are out there.

Happy to provide additional details.  I know this is somewhat vague, but I'm just exploring options now. 

Open to any and all suggestions!  Thanks in advance for any insight!

Welcome to CT!

It sounds like one of the top of the line Harmony remotes might do the job.

Take a look at the Global Cache product line, they offer some really impressive IR solutions.  The iTach can be found cheap if you look around (paid $70something for mine), and let's you send any IR commands over IP.

Many iOS apps and home automation apps support this device.  With that kind of budget, you could get a dedicated home automation controller, and a home automation client for iOS (recommend you look at Homeseer & CQC, see the link in my sig for more info).

Then there are also standalone clients such as iRule, which interface IR hardware, and turn your iOS device into a really nice controller.

Buildingfromescratch,

Let me start by saying I was bitten by the home automation and security bug about 8 months ago and I've been learning a ton since. There are three things that I learned and will pass on to you but please don't take it as discouraging, you just have to do a lot more learning and leg work to get to your solution. The first thing that was surprising, as a technical consultant, was the fact that HA is really far behind in terms of technology, and solutions I would expect to exist don't exist or only at the high end (Control4, RTI, Crestron). The second thing I learned is how even the inexpensive home automation stuff is still expensive. And finally, I learned that there are solutions out there but I will have to learn to be the glue to put the solutions together.

And to reinforce at least my last point, the first responses you've received are to minor pieces that would be included in an overall solution. But unless you go with an expensive Control4, RTI, Crestron, you won't find an all in one solution. And realize that the dollar figure you received was for initial setup. Want to make a change? Well you can't do that yourself, your implementation partner (dealer) has to modify it at several hundred or thousand dollars a pop. And you think satisfaction is guaranteed? Think again. I started thinking about Control4 and was angling for ways I could get access to the software to make my own changes. Even if I had gotten the software, there are enough horror stories out there of unhappy Control4, Crestron, etc customers (happy ones I'm sure too). But if I'm spending that type of money, I would expect an awesome experience and that is not always the case.

So I will say that it is good that you are focused on one type of solution such as home a/v instead of the whole gambit such as lighting and security. I might recommend you focus on home audio as the whole home video is not very mature and definitely expensive. Now lets take a look at the costs for whole home audio as I've been looking and buying recently.

First, you will need an amp to drive your speakers. Lets look at costs for 8 zones as that is common in whole home audio. A new 16 channels (8 stereo pairs) is in the neighborhood of $1500 to $2000 new for around 40-60 watts per channel. A used amp by Russound, Niles, and the like is around $800-$1200 if you look at eBay (don't forget shipping as amps are heavy). In lieu of the whole home audio amps you could also go with separate stereo amps at around $400 to a gazillion (darn audiophiles) new or $200 to a little less than a gazillion used. I recently purchased some good quality Parasound HCA-1000A amps for about $240 each off eBay as a start for my whole home audio and those are quality amps. Make sure to look for amps with a 12v trigger so they will stay in standby mode until triggered to turn on. Now there is a hybrid solution that I might recommend you look at that is a combination of amp and source that I will mention in the next section.

An amp isn't much use without a music source (CD, MP3, Pandora) and the multi-zone controllers are usually several thousand dollars. If you want a media server to play music off your computer or web streams like Pandora, that could easily be upwards of $2000 to $5000 or more. Some names to look at are Russound, Niles, Nuvo, etc. Another option is Sonos that definitely fits your requirements but isn't any really any cheaper when you get to 5+ units. There is even a Sonos Connect Amp version with built in 55w/ch amp to drive some of your speakers. Sonos is really a nice system, especially if you only want control from a computer, tablet, or phone. I am actually using Sonos Connects with my amps to drive individual rooms with speakers. I also have two Sonos Play 5 wireless speakers that I can move around to the garage, basement, deck, etc. The great thing about the Sonos is that I can easily sync multiple rooms and they will all play the same music, perfectly in sync.

Another whole audio system that I've seen recommended is the HTD Direct Lync system although I'm not sure how well that works with Pandora.

With all of that said, I'd recommend looking at the wiring guides to make sure your house is ready for when the HA bug really hits you. :) It is much better to put the wiring in when the walls are open as opposed to doing the headache of retrofitting that I am. And do a search for conduit as there was a recent discussion on that too.

And sorry this is so long. It doesn't look that long in the little reply window on my iPad.

David

Came across this applicable post looking up something else.  Poster was looking for a system similar to your requirements and the recommended solution was a Nuvo Grand Concerto with Media Server.  Should give you some good background but depending on the number of zones, with speakers, you will definitely be over the $5000 mark.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1434538/help-me-select-a-good-whole-home-audio-system

By the way, AVSForum is the forum of choice for AV related info.  But there are a lot of knowledgeable people here too.  Of course, Cocoontech is the place to be for DIY home automation and security.

Back