Camera lens question and surface cameras

N49atv

I have a few camera questions. I'm looking to put in some cameras under the eaves.

When it comes to lenses, the larger the lens (2.8mm vs 3.6mm etc) the more zoomed it is? That's what I gather. Is this correct?

Also I'm looking for a peephole camera with wifi? I haven't seen one though. Anyone know of one? Looking to put a camera at my front door to see closely who is coming. Close enough to get a good ID. I will have a dome at 12' above porch, and about 14' above grade. So I'll see all along garage walkway fine, just won't be able to see who is at door from that height.

What lenses are suggested for what heights? Is there a chart or spreadsheet somewhere?

Does anyone make a recessed camera for a single gang box that is outdoor rated?

Also my temp range is -50C to 36C. Do I need a camera with heater and fan? I assume I will to prevent condensation/frost. Do they make them in dome or just separate enclosures?

Thanks

The smaller the number in MM, the wider the FOV. Larger numbers, smaller FOV.

There's a few manufacturers that make cameras that fit in single gang boxes. Fixed lens. Adjustment stinks on all of them. Fan wouldn't be necessary but a heater would help with fogging and condensation.

If you're just looking to see who's at the door if they show up I'd look at an aiphone first.

Pretty much I'm looking to mount a decent camera next to door or in door, so my wife can see who is at the door if she is alone, without going to the door. Our front door has dual windows each side. I'd like it to tie into my HAI system/synology. I like the peep hole cameras with the back display. But want it wifi. Or one to
Side is fine. The one that aiphone makes looks ok. Just curious if the master station is required. Have to email them.

Assuming you're going small and simple, Aiphone requires a master station in order to view. It's a standalone system.

You'd need to determine how the system is going to be used and where it would be viewed and then how it's going to integrate to the HAI system before considering a camera. The host system and integration is going to drive what sort of unit you choose, not vice versa.

One here is to the side of the door and elevated some.  With an HD IP optimal view you will get to see freckles on a face and actually see the color of the eyes these days and even see bad teeth.  Mutliple views are even better; cameras that look at cameras that look at cameras provides you with that virtual 3 D look almost.

Here have been playing with tiny Grandstream OS HD IP boards.  These would fit in a single gangbox, have built in SIP, POE today and a variety of lenses.  With POE and having SIP its only one cable to the camera.

Yup best and easiest not to have to adjust the lenses; real PITA to get the focus just right.  The good stuff has an analog output such that you can utilize one of those little flat LCDs and adjust camera en vivo.  Trying to focus based on a cached image / video is really no fun at all.

N49, I've been looking for the same thing.  

I currently have a Vivotek FD8151V (an IP camera) above my front door, and it gives me a good view of people coming up the sidewalk but I still would like a full on front facial view of people at the door.  Like you, I have sidelight windows that make mounting hard.  

As for what focal length, there are some websites that talk about the angle of view and size of picture, etc. so just do some searching.  I was literally out on my sidewalk with a tape measure using high school geometry to figure out what MM lens and camera would work best at what height with an overhanging porch.  This is a quote from one of my earlier posts:  "One lesson learned:  Camera focal length/lens length is a key to getting what you want.  Longer lenses are great for detail but you don't get much "on air" time if people are in and out of video too quickly.  I started with a 6mm lens, tried 4.6, and ended up with 2.5.  Ideally, i would have preferred something slightly longer, but it wasn't worth the money or the increased footprint size of the camera to get to a varifocal lens."  I use both Vitamin D (now Sighthound) and Blue Iris with the camera software for motion detection, email and text alerts, etc.

If you are willing to spend big bucks, Axis makes a series of spy/surveillance cameras that could be hidden in small space but they are close to $500 (search for the Axis P12 Series).  As a result, I started looking at the Seco-larm door jamb cam since I have a hollowed out space it would fit into--a lot less money!  And I have started looking into running it and one or more other analog cameras using cat 5/6 and baluns for this and similar areas where super resolution is not necessary.  I haven't pulled the trigger yet and am still looking at alternatives.  I have other posts here on both my Vivotek install and my venture into analog cameras.

I can't comment on HAI, since I use Elk and CQC but never intended to use Elk for the camera feeds.  Instead, I have the camera feeds tied into both CQC and eKeypad Pro's Video module for both at-home and remote viewing.  I also have the software programs spit out email and text alerts with jpg images and 10-20 second video under a varies of triggers:  doorbell, mail, motion of someone coming up the front sidewalk, someone on the street sidewalk,...

Good luck!

Yup here have two glass side panels adjacent to the door.  Its double layered but not really a good place for a camera.

That said cutting a section out of the brick a few inches away and building a new box doorbell ringer would work and wouldn't look too bad.  Currently my doorbell sits in the framing between the door and the last panel; its a bit too tight for anything else.

Its not really that difficult to do as I have done this putting new HV electric boxes in the brick around my home.

I did put single duplex outlets and they fit nicely in one half of one brick.  Cutting / chiseling the brick worked but you have to go really slow.

Attached is a typical front door with two side panels.  I googled for images here.  Ideally one camera mounted over the door would probably work except a door bell ringer typically doesn't look up.  So you really want to put the camera with the doorbell button.  Where though is the question with this type of door.  You can maybe put it over the glass side panels but it will look really tacky. 

Attachments

• typcaldoorwithglasssides.jpg
    typcaldoorwithglasssides.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 21
Here is a quick pic my wife snapped. Light has washed out colour, but you get the idea of the what the outside would look like. If it wasn't -33C I'd get her to take a pic from outside. Outside I do have 5" wide flashing, then a few inches of siding, where a standard doorbell is located. So I would have room to smash in a camera to side of door.

Yup; here put in an LED illuminated doorbell in the frame between the outer glass panel and the brick.  It's only about an 1" wide and the doorbell was probably some 2" deep.  You have more options/space with the framing there.

In Florida the entrance door is sent in and covered like yours.  There the doorbell is on the wall adjacent to the door (90 degrees); such that door bell ringer pushes the doorbell button turning to the right of the door some 90 degrees.  Thing there is that the walls are masonry covered with stucco.

Del mentioned an Airphone. Something like that should fit there.

AX-DV-P.jpg

Yeah. I'm not sure I want an intercom there. Though it might not be a bad idea. Just where do I put stations so my wife doesn't really have to be seen to use it.

So maybe camera like that, and mirror or tint those side windows

Yup here do not utilize an intercom.  In the older home did a decorative almost tiffany glass insert thing on the two side door panels.  It was all wood and glass and difficult to maintain; but looked nice.  Today you can utilize a tiny camera in the space adjacent to one wood frame or another and not even seen it.  Tiny little protrusion. 

Here I utilize an HAI OPII which provides video to all of the HAI Omnitouch screens (legacy and IP).  The integration would provide you with both a security and automation solution (IE: you could integrate CCTV and Doorbell or just CCTV stuff with an HAI OPII configuration) without the "kludge" of a DIY solution (rather plug n play).

Yeah. If I can get a camera compatible with both synology (can be faked as another "supported camera"), I can use my OPII/Haiku to view as needed, and use synology to store the recorded history for 7-10 days.

Here are better pics to show you what I am dealing with.

Just some thoughts about the camera and where to mount it. 

It seems like if you mount a flush mount type camera on the trim along the outside edge of the door sidelights, it will require a pretty wide angle lens to be able see someone standing 2-3 feet back from the center to the door.   And even if the field of view is wide enough, you probably won't get anything much better than a profile view anyway.  The side of their face that is away from the camera will be mostly obscured.   Given that, it seems like the easiest thing to do is to mount the camera on the wall 90 degrees to the door and simply accept the profile view that it will provide. Or maybe a camera mounted right in the corner at a 45 degree angle would be a way to compromise.

Back