Can Blinds/Draps Trigger Motion Detectors?

ano

I'm wrapping up my house automation which includes automated blinds and drapery as well as security.  I'm finishing up all the programming and I realize that many of the drapes and blinds will be opening and closing while the security system is on. I have motion sensors in every room, and for the most part they follow good practice of not being pointed directly at windows. BUT is there any chance that the opening or closing of blinds and/or drapery could trigger a nearby motion detector? 

Does anyone with such a setup have this problem?  I guess I could bypass the zone  before opening or closing a blind, then unbypass it a minute later, but is that overkill? 

How about the long lost art of masking the first segment on the coverage pattern, assuming you're not aiming the motion directly at the controlled windows but looking "down" the wall. For the most part at least 50% of a motion detector's coverage pattern, if you install enough with appropriate coverage, is wasted and unnecessary for security purposes.

That sounds like a good

DELInstallations said:
How about the long lost art of masking the first segment on the coverage pattern, assuming you're not aiming the motion directly at the controlled windows but looking "down" the wall. For the most part at least 50% of a motion detector's coverage pattern, if you install enough with appropriate coverage, is wasted and unnecessary for security purposes.
that sounds like a good idea. Should I just use black electrical tape?  Most of my motion detectors are these old reliable GE/Interlogix NX-480 Indoor SAW PIR. 
I love them because they run 5 years on 2 AA batteries and you can place them anywhere.  They are also easy to mask.

I'm also thinking about cross-zoning all the motion detectors. Then any ONE going off won't set off the alarm but if two or more go off within a few minutes, it will.  I have so many motion detectors that its inconceivable at least two wouldn't go off. that is assuming they even got in in the first place since all doors and windows are covered. 

Black works, but I'm partial to white.

Cross zoning is a band aid and causes more issues which I've mentioned before, especially with monitoring and typical alarm system defaults. Good way to hit a single ring lockout or swinger shutdown in a hurry in addition to negating a monitoring response, especially if CID is used.

Back