Can find Elk M1EXP but can't send or receive.

I think I have my hardware set-up correctly now and started the RP software. I set up a user account then searched for the M1XEP. I am able to "Find" the M1XEP, (I am given a MAC and IP address). When I select it, the introductory screen pops up but the Reboot/Send/Receive buttons along the bottom are disabled. Only the Find and Close buttons work.

I tried filling in some information on the different tabs but the button status never changes.
  1. I only added the device name on the 2nd tab,
  2. Added users and passwords on the 3rd tab,
  3. On the email tab, I entered my providers URL/IP address (starting with http://) and a valid "FROM" email address. (I hope this is correct)
  4. I have no idea what to enter on the Central Station OR
  5. The Dynamic DNS tabs. I notice the TEST button is disabled on that tab as well.
  6. I left the Timer tab blank but see the correct time zone.

What am I missing? How do I send (update) this information to the M1XEP?

How do I identify what my firmware versions are for either ELK of M1XEP?

I've always done the initial configuration via the serial port and RP to get the basics into the panel prior to attempting the network setup, also the serial port needs to be configured properly before it will work with the XEP.

You can also attempt via a crossover and direct, set your PC to the same network segment as the XEP.

I was hoping this could be done with my network connection. I discovered a "Connection' icon on the GUI and when I clicked on it and changed the setting to "Network", I got a warning message and list of identified conflicts. I selected the option to either copy to or remove them from the database.

I found that enabled all the buttons on the setup screen. so it looks like I'm ready to proceed.

Now, what do I put in the fields on the tabs on that screen? E.G. what do I need to enter on the Dynamic DNS tab? When I click on "Test", it asks for a Host Name. Is that the name of my router?

Also, under the 2nd tab, what do I have to enter for a Primary DNS Server and Secondary DNS server addresses?

You don't need to use Dynamic DNS if your router is doing it. Primary DNS can be your router or your ISP's DNS. Go to one of your PC's and type ipconfig /all and use the ones you see there.

Well, I was up for a little while. I guess I kept tinkering until I managed to break it! I noticed when I add the configuration to my ISY, the connection would break every minute or so. Now when I try to access the panel through the RP, I get a couple of error messages that states "Failed to connect to server" or "Could not initialize secure connection".

Most recently, I can't find the XEP.

How is the IP allocated to the unit by your router?

Do you know the IP allocated to the XEP by your router? Can you ping it?

I'm confused. Pingin indicates "destination host unreachable" 4 times, but states packets received 4 times (?) from 192.168.1.4 (my PC). It now takes 6 presses of the Search button to even find the XEP from the RP software.

Attachments

• 120224_Ping.jpg
    120224_Ping.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 10
Run an ipconfig /all and check for your gateway. Ping the gateway. Can you ping it?

Do you happen to have a firewall on your PC? Try turning it off temporarily if so.

Also, you are running windows 7 right?

By gateway, I assume that is my router IP, and I can ping that. My Firewall in Windows 7 (on my PC) was on but it notified me if something wanted to get through. I answered "allow" for my initial hook up. Turning the firewall off now does not change things.

I poked around some other forum posts and found one that describes my problem exactly: "ELK M1XEP major troubles - no longer responding". I'm convinced I have a hardware problem. Just watching my M1XEP, I can see it connect to the network, the little amber light glows and green light flashes. Then after a short bit, those lights plus the main power light shut off. The power light comes right back on and the device re-boots, over, over and over again, ever few minutes. All this would explain why I do connect sometimes, but only for a very short time. I know of nothing in my saved ELK settings that would cause this.

I plan on calling SmartHome first thing Monday and hope I can find someone there that can help or is sympathetic to my issue, which may be a M1EXP replacement is needed.

Back