co sensor brand recommendation please

v1rtu0s1ty

hi guys, can you please recommend a CO sensor brand? This way, once I see how it looks like, I will be able to find out where to install, either to a wall or ceiling.

Thanks,

Neil

I use CoStar's (I have 6 of them). Never had a problem with them but I dont know of anyone else using them. They are wall or ceiling mount.

If I hadn't found such a good deal on them I would have gone with the ones Mike suggested.

Lets not go here again! lol (Right Martin)

CO is the same weight as air so it realy does not matter but it is recommended to mount it at breathing height (5').

What I like about the Macurco is it is surface mountable or single gang mountable so it does not stick out as bad. I also personaly think they look better.

toymaster458 said:
What I like about the Macurco is it is surface mountable or single gang mountable so it does not stick out as bad. I also personaly think they look better.
What about gas sensor, should they be installed around 5 ft also and near the oven/gas range?

If the gas used is natural (methane) mount on a wall about one foot down from the ceiling. If the gas used is propane (LP), mount on a wall or column one foot above the floor. Do NOT mount in a corner.

toymaster458 said:
If the gas used is natural (methane) mount on a wall about one foot down from the ceiling. If the gas used is propane (LP), mount on a wall or column one foot above the floor. Do NOT mount in a corner.
Cool! :) Thanks again! I'm going to fix my wiring layout and then recalculate again.

Depending on where you get the recommendation, they can recommend multiple setups. I put one on each floor. One in the basement near the burner, one in the kitchen and one upstairs (outside the bedrooms).

Some manufacturers seem to recommend them in every room though (surprise!).

In my opinion it depends on the layout of the house to determine the numberr and location.

There can be many sources of CO. Furnace/Boiler, Water heater, Stove, Cars etc.

Since I had gotten a great deal on them (6 for $100 with shipping) I put one in each bedroom, one in the hall, one in the basement level den, and one in the garage thats converted to a room. I tend to go overkill if I can get things cheap like that.

toymaster458 said:
hi toymaster, I'm finalizing on my wiring because I think, my wiring starts next week. I'm excited and scared too. So for the the gas sensor, is it ok to put it on the upper wall near the oven, near the exhaust vent?

Back