CO Sensor Wiring

gcimmino

I'm about to get some System Sensor CO1224 CO sensors.

On page 4 of the Install Manual is the wiring diagram.

While this is called a "4 wire" detector, it looks to me as though I'm going to need 6 wires if I connect more than one of these in series. That is, I'll need the extra pair for the trouble contacts. Is this correct?

Another option I guess would be home run to each sensor, taking up one zone per sensor. That would provide the benefit of knowing where the alarm was physically. That could be done with 4 wire cable.

Does this need to be "fire wire"? Looks like Cat5 is too small for use here as the specs say 14-22 AWG.

Thanks

Attachments

• CO1224.JPG
    CO1224.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 25
I recently pre-wired a few houses where these same sensors will be used and we came to the same conclusion as you. More than one in series requires six wires and if home run only four. We ran 22-4 for contacts and 18-2 for power. 18-2 is probably overkill but we had some extra.

Another option I guess would be home run to each sensor, taking up one zone per sensor. That would provide the benefit of knowing where the alarm was physically. That could be done with 4 wire cable.

While it would be nice to know the source, the first thing is to get to fresh air ASAP and not worry about the source (at least at first). ;)

Actually, I would think it is MORE inportant to know which detector set off the alarm when it comes to CO detectors. If you can narrow down the location of the CO build up, you can better determine a course of action and can vent the gas from the proper location. It will also help determine the source of the CO gas in the first place so you can safely fix the problem - or at least know which professional to call (HVAC, automotive mechanic, etc).

I personally would consider a "location" specific alarm for a CO detector more inportant than a smoke detector. If a smoke detector goes off, it generally means there is a fire and you simply want to get out and call the fire department. I CO alarm means there is surely danger, but generally this is a problem that will first be explored and attempted to be fixed by the homeowner, not the fire department. Hence my theory that a CO detector is more useful if it is wired 1 per zone.

sic0048 said:
Actually, I would think it is MORE inportant to know which detector set off the alarm when it comes to CO detectors.  If you can narrow down the location of the CO build up, you can better determine a course of action and can vent the gas from the proper location.  It will also help determine the source of the CO gas in the first place so you can safely fix the problem - or at least know which professional to call (HVAC, automotive mechanic, etc).

I personally would consider a "location" specific alarm for a CO detector more inportant than a smoke detector.  If a smoke detector goes off, it generally means there is a fire and you simply want to get out and call the fire department.  I CO alarm means there is surely danger, but generally this is a problem that will first be explored and attempted to be fixed by the homeowner, not the fire department.  Hence my theory that a CO detector is more useful if it is wired 1 per zone.
I agree 100%. It is great information to have and very helpful for finding the source. I was only trying to make the point that CO2 has a very insidious onset and the first thing I would do is get to fresh air, then troubleshoot later. I didn't mean to imply that anyone would not follow the proper course, I simply intended a freindly reminder to everyone.

Scott

Back