Commercial Smoke Detectors in a Residential Application

Digger

Has anyone had a problem with an AHJ not accepting a Commercial Smoke Detector over a Residential Smoke Detector?

As per section R313 Smoke Alarms: the 2006 International Residential Code, states that “All smoke alarms shall be listed in accordance with UL 217 and installed in accordance with the provisions of this code and the household fire warning equipment provisions of NFPA 72.”

UL217 is the Smoke Alarm Standard for Residential Applications. UL268 is the Smoke Detector Standard for Commercial Applications. Recently some AHJ's have not accepted UL268 Commercial Detectors in residences. It is my understanding that UL268 meets all of the requirements of UL217 (and then some).

Curious if anyone else has seen this. I am working on a resolution with UL (I hope).

Somthing else I just noted in the International Residential code:

“Household fire alarm systems installed in accordance with NFPA 72 that include smoke alarms, or a combination of smoke detector and audible notification device installed as required by this section for smoke alarms, shall be permitted. The household fire alarm system shall provide the same level of smoke detection and alarm as required by this section for smoke alarms in the event the fire alarm panel is removed or the system is not connected to a central station.” This new text clearly states that the system must still function as installed without the fire alarm panel. This basically eliminates low voltage type systems for installations in accordance with the International Residential Code.

I dont know of any hardwired low voltage detector that would meet this.

Has anyone had a problem with an AHJ not accepting a Commercial Smoke Detector over a Residential Smoke Detector?

As per section R313 Smoke Alarms: the 2006 International Residential Code, states that “All smoke alarms shall be listed in accordance with UL 217 and installed in accordance with the provisions of this code and the household fire warning equipment provisions of NFPA 72.”

UL217 is the Smoke Alarm Standard for Residential Applications. UL268 is the Smoke Detector Standard for Commercial Applications. Recently some AHJ's have not accepted UL268 Commercial Detectors in residences. It is my understanding that UL268 meets all of the requirements of UL217 (and then some).

Curious if anyone else has seen this. I am working on a resolution with UL (I hope).

Somthing else I just noted in the International Residential code:

“Household fire alarm systems installed in accordance with NFPA 72 that include smoke alarms, or a combination of smoke detector and audible notification device installed as required by this section for smoke alarms, shall be permitted. The household fire alarm system shall provide the same level of smoke detection and alarm as required by this section for smoke alarms in the event the fire alarm panel is removed or the system is not connected to a central station.” This new text clearly states that the system must still function as installed without the fire alarm panel. This basically eliminates low voltage type systems for installations in accordance with the International Residential Code.

I dont know of any hardwired low voltage detector that would meet this.

I did find that the NFPA 72 paragraph 11.5 states that a Smoke Detector (commercial) may be used in place of a smoke alarm (residential). Not sure if AHJ's will accept that if they are applying the International specs.

explain please.....AHJ?

:rolleyes: Sorry I forget sometimes the acronyms are not widely used. I was in the work frame of mind at the time I wrote it.

AHJ = Authority having jurisdiction which is a Fire Marshall, Code Inspector, Electrical Inspector etc.

Back