Compact Flash USB Adaptor

rocco

I thought that Secure-Digital was simply an enhancement to Compact-Flash, with security added. Security wouldn't be applicable to a device like this, so a CF version should work. ?

Does not CF work in any SD slot?

Mike

How are you looking to use this? If it is for an ipaq, there was a sleeve you could buy that added a PCMCIA slot. You can get a PCMCIA adapter for CF cards which might do the trick.

I haven't looked at these in awhile, but I'm assuming they are still available for newer models.

It is a long way to the solution (and adds some to the cost, the sleeve was somewhere around $100 if I recall), but if you really need it, it might be something to look into. Here is what I was talking about (if this is even remotely close to what you are trying to do):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...e&s=pc&n=507846

TonyNo

Rocco: CF and SD are physically different from one another.

The point of this was to be able to use USB drives (thumb and otherwise) on a PDA. I started looking for this based on something e mentioned in the chat. I thought he had an Axim, which has CF, but I use a lower-end iPaq, which only has SD.

I know about the sleeve, but then there would be the sleeve, that PCMCIA adaptor, the CF adaptor, then this adaptor! ;)

electron

Administrator
Staff member
My Axim has both the SD and CF slot. This is definitely a great find, I have heard of them before, but they used to be really expensive. Now I could use my 1gig keychain drive, or my USB chassis to hook up any drive, and turn it into a giant mp3 player (you wouldn't believe how fast a 512mb card fills up ;)) They also have other cool cards, such as the CF serial interface:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/firewireshop/index.html

edit: it looks like they are still expensive after all, $139 for the USB host adapter.

smee

There may still be driver issues as well. It may work with some external drives, but not with others.

The ability to work as a USB host is one of those things that many, many people are waiting for to become common (in PDAs, mp3 players, portable media players, etc.).

I gave up on mass storage in my PDA and bought a 30G mp3 player for music.

electron

Administrator
Staff member
If it is USB HID/mass storage compliant, shouldn't it work without any problems? One of the few things I miss about my old Toshiba e740 is the integrated USB host port. No other PDA manufacture seem to be interested in adding this functionality.