Component Video question

I know there are three signals Y Pb Pr, but what about the grounds. Are there three separate ground signals or is the same ground signal used on all three?

I've never seen them not be the same . . . I suppose it is possible, with some sort of differential system . . .

Why do you ask?

I'm trying to run component video and analog audio over 1 cat5 cable. Was hoping I could some how use 4 of the strands for the component and the other 4 for the audio.

I doubt it will work. The Component Video cables are coax cables inside the outer covering. Each signal has a shield and is 75 ohm cable.

I'm trying to run component video and analog audio over 1 cat5 cable. Was hoping I could some how use 4 of the strands for the component and the other 4 for the audio.

It would probably send an image, but the impedance mismatch will degrade the quality., and if it is bad enough, the syncs won't come through and you will get nothing. You can use something like this stuff-

http://www.svideo.com/videobalun1.html

not recommending any particular unit or store, just an example.

It'll work but you'll have to send SPDIF audio. I think thats the only way to get 4 pairs with component and audio, dunno if thats due to a grounding issue or not.

I can get the parts needed ~$150 good for several hundred feet.

(SPDIF coaxial audio BTW, no fiber.)

Coaxial audio would be fine if I could find a TV that takes coax digital audio in and then would play it out over the TV speakers. All the ones I've see just have the analog audio in.

I'm looking for a way to play the audio over the tv speakers. I've found digital audio to analog audio convertors but they are pretty spendy. I've even thought about a cheap cheap receiver that would have coax in.

Back