Conduit Protection

hucker

My automation room is downstairs. All of my upstairs wiring comes from the attic. I have two large carlon conduits that carry all of those wires through a hallway wall.

Is there an easy way to protect the plastic conduit from nails and screws?

Just remember where the conduit is and don't try to hang anything there??

Actually I think the easiest thing to do is put a piece of metal that is strong/thick enough to stop a nail between then conduit and the wall.

That would be the only reliable way of doing it - besides perhaps using some steel conduit instead of plastic.

Hucker, there are steel "Nail Plates" used to protect wires at top & bottom plates when they are to close to the edge (1-1/8" by code). Electrical supply house will have them and know what you mean.

You might also try and mount the conduits away from the studs so that if the drywallers miss when they nail or screw on the drywall they are less likely to hit the conduit.

hotwire said:
You might also try and mount the conduits away from the studs so that if the drywallers miss when they nail or screw on the drywall they are less likely to hit the conduit.
I was going to say this, too. In your top and bottom plates, drill the hole for the conduit 2-3 inches from a stud. You can then pull the conduit through it, and only need to proect the top and bottom plates.

If you're using flex duct and need to, you can always use a conduit bracket in the middle of the wall (eg: the conduit starts 3" from the stud on the bottom plate, angles to the stud where the conduit bracket is, and then angles back to the top plate hole)

Two additional thoughts:
1) if you have open walls, don't run your cable through the conduit. Keep the conduit for add-on cables, and pull what you currently want through separate holes (ask yourself how many times you're going to _need_ to remove a cable that is supposed to be installed somewhere else!)
2) After the drywall is installed, test and make sure your conduit is in one piece and not spiked.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard of/seen drywall screws going into conduit, PVC plumbing, etc. If you catch it soon, you can have it redone. Typically, cutting out drywall, patching, and replacing due to an errant screw is the responsibility of the drywall firm.

I know about the nail plates and intend to use them top and bottom. I have located the conduit away fromthe studs but needed to make a jog through a half stud (convoluted framing near HVAC ducting). I'll nail plate that as well.

It is the area in the middle of the studs that I'm worried about. Less about the dry wallers and more about someone in the future haning a picture or anchoring a bookcase.

I struggle with the concept of not using the conduit seems like it defeats the purpose. Is that really 'better'?

What size conduit are you using? A 2x4 stud wall has 3.5 inches of internal clearance. If you have a 2.5" conduit (fairly large), then you have .5in per side for clearance. If the wall isn't double-sided (eg: it backs up to a wall/staircase that isn't likely to have a picture, you can offset it and get more clearance.

The average picture frame nail is .50"-.75" long and goes in on a 45 degree min (usually 60 degree) angle and the head sticks out to hold the bracket. The max penetration for a .75" nail at a 45 degree angle (somewhat worst case) is .53in. (.75/sqrt(2))

Assuming you're using flexduct, it'll "give" a little too if you try to penetrate it.

Shelves and bookcases should always be anchored into a stud wall.

As for whether to install conduit, I always answer "absolutely!" It's cheap to do now and provides almost unlimited flexibility. I homerun flexduct to all my important rooms, but ran the cable for those rooms outside the flexduct. That way I know I have the full flexduct available for future use. (1" flexduct).

hucker said:
I struggle with the concept of not using the conduit seems like it defeats the purpose. Is that really 'better'?
We aren't using conduit for wire protection. We use it for ease of pulling new wire after the walls are covered.

Do electricians use conduit for 110 or 220 wiring in the walls? No, and nicking a 110 or 220 wire can cause a lot more problems than nicking a LV wire :unsure:

Save your money and only use the conduit for "future proofing" your wiring. Any wiring you are doing while the walls are open simply run free.

sic0048 said:
hucker said:
Do electricians use conduit for 110 or 220 wiring in the walls? No, and nicking a 110 or 220 wire can cause a lot more problems than nicking a LV wire :D
Actually, this is not entirely true. I remember seeing some pics here of homes where the entire AC wiring was in conduit. I believe it was the Chicago area and this was their standard code (someone correct me if I have the wrong city). :unsure:

BraveSirRobbin said:
Actually, this is not entirely true. I remember seeing some pics here of homes where the entire AC wiring was in conduit. I believe it was the Chicago area and this was their standard code
You are correct. I guess they are still paranoid about Mrs. Oleary's cow. :lol:

Herdfan said:
BraveSirRobbin said:
Actually, this is not entirely true. I remember seeing some pics here of homes where the entire AC wiring was in conduit. I believe it was the Chicago area and this was their standard code
You are correct. I guess they are still paranoid about Mrs. Oleary's cow. :lol:
Yes all AC is in conduit per code, but on the plus side, I've never had a issue in my 40 yr old house of requiring a neutral wire for a switch which wasn't easily solved by simply pulling a white wire through the conduit. :D

The Pod

Back