• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

Confirming NextAlarm the hard way

IVB

Well today I learned 3 things:
1) I really am a newbie at this stuff
2) The Elk can call the central monitoring station quickly
3) NextAlarm really is paying attention.

I ripped out the ADT dining room motion, put in a cool Bosch blueline motion. Thing is, I set it up in the Elk remote programming software as a "Burglar Interior" instead of a "Burglar Interior Follower", which for the non-Elk among us means that there's an instant alarm if it's tripped during the Armed Away mode. A "Follower" means that it'll give you a few seconds to punch in the code, then sound the alarm.

That's fine for most of my other zones, but the DiningRoom has a clear line of sight to the front door. That means that I need to trip the front door, then walk to the KeyPad, thusly tripping the DiningRoom.

I walk in, look at the alarm keypad, crap my pants, quickly disarm it. I think i've gotten it in time when the phone rings. (well under 60 seconds from front door entry). We had a message already, so I only had 2 rings to get to it. Damn cordless wasn't on the base, and I missed the call.

I hadn't yet printed out the nextalarm info, so I go to pull up their website before the cops show up and charge me $250 for a false alarm. Damn DSL is hanging. I finally get to the site, pull up the customer service #, call them up, totally forget my password. Remembered it, called it all off, and immediately went to elkRP to set the type correctly.

Upside is, cops didn't come cuz I made the call in time. Plus, now i know that all this crap actually works, and so does the wife, who happened to be 5 steps behind me.

Steve

I feel bad for your wife if she was only 5 steps behind you when you crapped your pants. That could be considered spousal abuse.