*** Confusion about using System Sensor 5601P with RRS-MOD.

Mp333

Hello,

I have replaced the garage heat sensor from Edwards 284B-PL to System Sensor 5601P which I believe is a mechanical detector. Currently i have RRS-MOD with 2WTA-B on M1G. This statement from the manual is throwing me off. Am not suppose to use 5601P?
Also I plan to replace the RRS-MOD to COSMOD-2W and replace some 2WTA-B with COSMO-2W.

"When using the RRS-MOD with model 2WTA-B, do
not mix the 2WTA-B with other model smoke detectors
and dry contact closure devices, including
mechanical heat detectors, manual pull stations and
waterflow switches. Such mixing can cause a direct
short on the auxiliary power terminals, damaging
the control panel’s internal circuitry and/or damage
devices connected to the initiating device circuit."

The warnings are pretty clear. Reread them a piece at a time.

Any device that maintains a direct short (mechanically) on a fire loop that is reversed using a reversing relay will damage whatever circuit it is connected to.

There's a difference to an electronic device in alarm then hit with reverse polarity vs. a mechanical device.

Put it this way.....connect the +/- of a power supply directly together. That is what you'd be doing.

The heat detector must be on it's own run back to the panel in the case of a tandem ring or module setup like this or you need an electronic heat detector like a 5151....and I'd personally run it by System Sensor (because in our case, it's usually easier to run cable than the cost of every electronic device that would be needed in an application like this)

Thanks DEL.Trying to wrap my head around this one...

First of all not knowing much about heat detectors. I guess there are mechanical and electronic heat detectors. Mechanical acts just like a door contact for simplicity. SS 5601P being mechanical and Edwards 284B-PL / SS-5151 being electronic signaling.

Prior to M1G. Previous owner had Gemini P816 with seven 2WTA-B and one Edwards 284B-PL with 820 ohms resistor across it located in the garage which was last in the circuit.

I replaced the panel with M1G and kept the 2WTA-B and Edwards 284B-PL. I had tested the smokes and they worked fine. Did not test the Edwards 284B-PL.Should I stick with Edwards284B-PL?

Also can I replace the RRS-MOD to COSMOD-2W and replace some 2WTA-B with COSMO-2W and use a electronic heat detector?

The SS and Edwards are both mechanical devices. The 5151 is an electronic heat detector.

Personally, I'd look at the wiring first. See if it's possible to get another feed either to the smoke before the loop goes to the garage to isolate the heat detector OR refeed the heat in the garage as a homerun.

SS should be contacted to see if running the electronic heat on the loop is even a viable option. Off the top of my head, I'd say yes, but without them saying yes and with the additional components and reversing circuits is where it's going to get tough.

The amount you'd spend for a 5151 and base you can literally buy a ton of spackle and a reel of 18 AWG cable.

The RRS can be removed if you put the COSMOD in.

DEL

Spoke to SS yesterday and they recommend the heat detector to be on a separate zone. They do not recommend it on the same loop as the smokes as you had mentioned in your first reply.
There is a spare pair of 18AWG available along with the smokes wiring as the smokes is using only one pair. I can connect the second unused pair at each smoke location and then use the unused pair for heat detector in the garage and install EOL on the last smoke. If that does not work I will be running another line.

Thank you

Back