Connecting Caddx NX-8e to PC

bingl

After several discussions, I have decided to swap out my Caddx NX-8V2 board for the NX-8e so I can connect to my PC and CQC. The alarm box is at the top of my closet wall and the PC will be on the floor so I need a serial cable about 10 feet long.

With my limited understanding, there are two different types of serial cables. Which serial cable works for this set-up? Straight thru OR crossover?

FYI. I am also swapping out my NX-1324 LED keypads for the Caddx LCD type.

Thank you for everyone's help.

After several discussions, I have decided to swap out my Caddx NX-8V2 board for the NX-8e so I can connect to my PC and CQC. The alarm box is at the top of my closet wall and the PC will be on the floor so I need a serial cable about 10 feet long.

With my limited understanding, there are two different types of serial cables. Which serial cable works for this set-up? Straight thru OR crossover?

FYI. I am also swapping out my NX-1324 LED keypads for the Caddx LCD type.

Thank you for everyone's help.

I built my cable a few years ago and really wasn't worth the $10 it would have cost me. I got my header backwards or something like that (don't really remember) and drove me nuts for a day or two.

A regular serial cable won't work since it is not a regular serial connector on the NX-8e. The NX-8e has a header on the board which is a series of pins sticking up. There is a female connector that goes on this with a regular serial plug for your PC on the other end.

I would recommend buying the NX-8e cable and then if it's too short, a straight through cable to extend it. They're $8.99 at automated outlet and the Caddx part number is P-0003. You should be able to get it from the same place as your replacement 8e board and keypad.

Tim

Thank you, Timoh for the insight. Your experience is much appreciated. All my pieces are coming from AO now.

And Thank you Martin for adding the cable to my exisiting order.

Back