• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

Convert your cordless phone into a Skype handset!

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Christoffer Järnåker posted a tutorial on his site showing how to convert a cordless phone into a wireless VoIP handset. Basically he figured out, by trial and error, how to hook up the base station to the microphone/headphone ports on your soundcard, so you don't have to sit in front of your computer and/or wear a silly headset. In this article, he shows how he uses it with Skype. Pretty cool!

Read the article

electron

Administrator
Staff member
lol, it will work with whatever you use as well :lol: The guy used it with skype, I totally forgot about Skybum not liking Skype ;)

Skibum

I'll start using skype right after you tell me that your 802.11 is open, and there is no worry in doing so.

P2P...Not me. :lol:

DavidL

Hmmm, $20 to convert my second (unused) line on my Gigaset 2420 deskset (with wireless handhelds) so that I can make free long distance calls via MSMessenger...interesting.

Going one step further, why couldn't I use the handset to control Homeseer VR?

One step further, as my Gigaset is next to my desktop PC, and that is the PC where I would be invoking most VOiP phone calls, what if I used HS2.0 remote Speaker application from that PC to route VR to the Homeseer server...

So, from any Gigagset wireless handheld, I could switch to the second line and talk to Homeseer or take a VOiP phone call. Interesting.

Anybody got comment to the above before I drop yet another $20 on a new toy?

electron

Administrator
Staff member
I can't see why this wouldn't work, VR is exactly what I was thinking of (since some people already use their phone for that anyways).

Gemini

electron said:
I can't see why this wouldn't work, VR is exactly what I was thinking of (since some people already use their phone for that anyways).
Good find... bought it and plugged it in and it works like a charm for VR!! Anybody wanna buy a wireless mic!? :)