Daisy chain problem?

I have a 6 ch hub, with a power adaptor connected to it. From the hub I have attached 4 daisy chains with the following sensors:
chain 1. barometer - temp/humidity/solar - temp/humidity/solar
chain 2. temp/humidity/solar
chain 3. rain gauge
chain 4. temp/humidity/solar
When I tried this setup yesterday it seemed to work fine, and I could detect all sensors. But when I tried to extend my fourth chain to:
chain 4. temp/humidity/solar - temp/humidity/solar - anemometer
none of the sensors on the fourth chain were detected. The other chains were still ok though.
I have tried to have just the two temp/humidity/solar attached on the chain, and I have also tried just one temp/humidity/solar and the anemometer on the chain, but with the same result.
If I remove the daisy chained attached sensors the first temp/humidity/solar on the fourth chain reappears again.
What can this problem be due to?

Thanks

/Mats

I have a 6 ch hub, with a power adaptor connected to it. From the hub I have attached 4 daisy chains with the following sensors:
chain 1. barometer - temp/humidity/solar - temp/humidity/solar
chain 2. temp/humidity/solar
chain 3. rain gauge
chain 4. temp/humidity/solar
When I tried this setup yesterday it seemed to work fine, and I could detect all sensors. But when I tried to extend my fourth chain to:
chain 4. temp/humidity/solar - temp/humidity/solar - anemometer
none of the sensors on the fourth chain were detected. The other chains were still ok though.
I have tried to have just the two temp/humidity/solar attached on the chain, and I have also tried just one temp/humidity/solar and the anemometer on the chain, but with the same result.
If I remove the daisy chained attached sensors the first temp/humidity/solar on the fourth chain reappears again.
What can this problem be due to?

Thanks

/Mats

Mats,

It really sounds like a wiring issue to me where the data and ground lines are crossed. Have you tried each device by itself? Have you tried any of those devices on another chain?

Eric

Hi Eric,

I have managed to get good readings from all devices, but from the vind sensor. When the vind sensor is attached it seems like all other readings gets messed up. I have tried to attach the vind sensor to two different daisy chains with the same result. I am using your adaptor RJ12 to RJ45 cable when connecting the vind sensor, and I have tried with two different adaptor cables as well, attached to both possible connectors on the vind sensor.
The vind sensor is anyway recognized as a vind vane, anemometer and a thermometer by my software.
I have also connected the vind sensor to a separate chain, i.e. not daisy chained, both the pass through connection and one of the main on the hub, and get the same result.

I am running oww and from the log I get the following:

Code:
weather_read_ws_end_tempconv: T5 = 85C
Error reading from weather station: weather_read_ws failed
Problem with link or weather station
RETRY:Will restart in 5 seconds
owAcquireEx: com = /dev/ttyS0
devices_portnum_var = 0x500
owAcquireEx OK
state_zombie -> state_ready
dtime = 0
dtime = 0
dtime = 0
Error reading from weather station: weather_read_ws failed
Problem with link or weather station

I have removed the jumper that was placed in one of the RJ12 connectors in the vind sensor, could this be a problem?

Thanks for your support.

Best regards, Mats

I switched RJ12 to RJ45 adaptor cable and put back the jumper connector into the second RJ12 connection in the vind sensor and now it seems to work just fine. I have had all my sensors up and running now for a couple of minutes :(

I have removed the jumper that was placed in one of the RJ12 connectors in the vind sensor, could this be a problem?

Thanks for your support.

Best regards, Mats

Removing the jumper would not cause the problem you are seeing.

It sounds like you may have a bad board on the Wind Instrument. Can you try one more thing for me. Hook up the Wind Instrument directly to the adapter (not through the Hub) using the coiled cord that came with the Wind Instrument and see what happens then.

Eric

Eric,

thanks for your kind support.
I am sorry if I was a bit unclear in my last reply, but I think that the instrument is working ok now.
I think that the problem was one of the RJ12 to RJ45 adapter cables which looks a bit strange in one of its connectors. Once I switched to another one it seems like everything is running fine.
I have not connected the wind instrument in its real environment yet, but are running it in my attic at the moment and just got the following readouts (the last three are wind direction in degrees, wind direction and wind speed and the ones before are some temp/humi/solar a barometer and the rain gauge):
Code:
27/08/07 , 08:06:47 , 19.187500 , 67.653915 , 12.855717 , 24.312500 , 44.538258 , 11.608614 , 14.187500 , 56.733162 , 5.646061 , 1013.695312 , 29.717998 , 3026 , 225.000000 , SW , 0.000000
Looks ok to me, or what do you think?

Maybe I will return on this issue once I have mounted the wind instrument outside on its mast, but I don't think so.

Edited:
Just read your wire instructions: Wire instructions
and saw that there are some special things when it comes to the RJ12 connector for the wind instrument. When looking at the cable that was delivered with my wind instrument it looks like a normal RJ12, i.e. with only the two center cables attached. Can you explain how it is meant to be?

Best regards, Mats

Eric,

thanks for your kind support.
I am sorry if I was a bit unclear in my last reply, but I think that the instrument is working ok now.
I think that the problem was one of the RJ12 to RJ45 adapter cables which looks a bit strange in one of its connectors. Once I switched to another one it seems like everything is running fine.
No you weren't unclear I just missed your last reply before I sent mine. I must have had a cached version of the thread that didn't have your latest reply in it.

Edited:
Just read your wire instructions: Wire instructions
and saw that there are some special things when it comes to the RJ12 connector for the wind instrument. When looking at the cable that was delivered with my wind instrument it looks like a normal RJ12, i.e. with only the two center cables attached. Can you explain how it is meant to be?

Best regards, Mats
With the current adaptor cables we have you should leave the jumper in place unless you are going to chain something from the Wind Instrument. We used to have two different adaptor cables, one to go from a USB or Serial Adaptor to the 1-Wire network and one to go to the Wind Instrument. In that case the one for the Wind Instrument had 4 wires attached to supply +5v to the Wind Instrument. When we went to mass produced cables we decided to have only one cable that only has two wires that will work for both the USB or Serial Adaptors and the Wind Instrument.

Eric

Back