Detached garage solution ideas for HAI OmniPro2/Z-wave over 150' distance

jcd

Hi Folks,

I have a detached garage about 150' from the main house - too far by z-wave design specs - and I'm desperate for ideas on how to integrate the garage into the rest of the house.

I have an HAI 17A00-9 hardwire expander located in the garage itself and wired back to the main OmniPro2 panel, so I'm fine insofar as local security contacts and other sensors for the system.  Where I'm stuck is with lighting.  Everything is Vizia RF+ z-wave and I'd like to be able to integrate the lighting loads with the HAI programming so that I have a seamless system of control.

I have power in the garage, so I even considered PLC except that it's such an old technology and I have a lot of built-in reasons it likely won't work (generator, lots of UPS systems, and lots of noise such that I doubt the PLC signalling stands a chance!)

I have a post lamp in the driveway island that is about 50' from the house and I've tried using a plug-in module out there to repeat the signal but I just can't seem to make the hop all the way to the garage with z-wave.

Questions:
  1. Is it possible to use a secondary z-wave serial interface routed back to the OP2 board, or is this too long for a serial link (or not even feasible to have two z-wave interfaces)?
  2. Are there any sort of relay controller options that I could drive off the hardwire expander board to control the local lighting loads indirectly from a HAI-controlled relay instead of z-wave?
  3. Any super-high-powered z-wave amplifiers/repeaters that can step over the 150' distance needed?
  4. Any other options I'm not thinking of?
Has anyone else conjured a solution to such a circumstance?  I'd be grateful for any advice!

I've also got a detached workshop and have thought of the same, but in a slightly different boat - I've got an Elk panel.

I haven't tried putting any Zwave devices in my shop yet, but it's only about 50' from my home. I'm not sure about the Omni panels, but with the Elk the Zwave controller connects to the databus, as do the keypads. I'll obviously have databus accessability in the workshop for a keypad, input expander, etc, and have wondered about the ability to add a second Zwave controller; I'm not sure how this is handled, or if it's possible. Theoretically, it should be, because the VRC0P is a secondary controller... but realistically, I'm really not sure.

I have two detached outbuildings and I'm using UPB PLC in both with no problems.
I had to install noise filters with the shop and shed overhead flourescent fixtures, but when those fixtures weren't on there was no comms problems. 
The noise filters work when the fixtures are on.

Yeah, I've debating going UPB to help with this... but with a fairly robust Zwave network already, I figured I may as well investigate this a little more before I jump ship.

I thought you may have to hybridize just the garage if you can't get the Zwave signal to your garage.

You could always do relay controlled lighting in the garage from the expansion enclosure outputs if you just wanted on/off control.

Desert_AIP said:
I thought you may have to hybridize just the garage if you can't get the Zwave signal to your garage.

You could always do relay controlled lighting in the garage from the expansion enclosure outputs if you just wanted on/off control.
Thanks - yep, going hybrid is fine by me... do you know of any modules ideally suited to convert the expansion enclosure output relays into a light switch? On/off is all I need - for a fluorescent lighting load.  

I'm guessing I need a "relay-relay" - that is: something that will convert the low-voltage contact closure of the HAI expansion outputs to a high-voltage contact needed to close the lighting load...?

I'd run the output to a low voltage relay that controls a high voltage relay.
The best option would have an optisolator to prevent "crossing the streams".

There are probably several ready made solutions for this.

Does this look about right?
http://www.opto22.com/site/pr_details.aspx?cid=3&item=120A10">http://www.opto22.com/site/pr_details.aspx?cid=3&item=120A10

http://documents.opto22.com/0859_Solid_State_Relays_data_sheet.pdf
Specifically, the 120D10 model?

I don't mean to be clueless (but here goes)... so two of the terminal on this are for low-voltage contact closure, and the other two terminals are AC line voltage? I've looked at the technical sheets, but there isn't really a "installation manual". I guess the target user (not me) knows what these are and how to use them!

RIB relay would be my recommendation....isolated enough and common and economical to find at good electrical suppliers.

Back