Dome vs Bullet

upstatemike

I'm still mulling over camera options and I'm trying to decide whether to focus on dome or bullet types. Anybody have any reason why one is better than the other?

I prefer dome. Rounded housing is more bullett resistant (projectile bounces off), vandal resistant (nothing to throw a rope over and pull down), and with smoked glass the bad guy doesn't know which way the lens is pointed.

Do you need IR/nightvision? I know some bullet cameras have IR/nightvision, no idea about domes.

I need IR on the 2 outdoor cameras but not the interior one. In fact I am having trouble finding options without night vision. It also doesn't help that this person wants to stay at the low end... about $100 per camera.

Was looking at the HAWK-320CD for interior ($105) and the HAWK-355IRCD ($118) for the outside cameras.

Heard any pros or cons about HAWK or about these specific models?

Dunno much about that.

BTW, Here's a link to a site that's got a ton of cameras. The zipcode looks like Dutchess County, so that's just a little south of you.

I talked to the guy once 5 months ago, seemed pretty knowledgable. I needed a little more guidance so I went the "retained consulting" route, but this could be a good fit for you.

Interesting site. This gives me another idea... What if I go with wireless cameras? Cable savings could offset the additional cable costs somewhat and I could just get a second receiver for the one camera I want to view in 2 places. Is this a totally crazy idea?

upstatemike said:
What if I go with wireless cameras?
What, the "w" word (wireless)! Were you not the one who posted about the alien (or was it government) mind probe problem in your area earlier!?! :)

This is for somebody else. In my house everything is hardwired with shielded cable. Even my AC lines are shielded.

upstatemike said:
This is for somebody else. In my house everything is hardwired with shielded cable. Even my AC lines are shielded.
Ah, I see. You can see then why I was surprised when you used the "w" word. :)

Check THIS company out. I ordered off them, but not this model (you stated you wanted night, I just wanted low light).

Call them before you order though to make sure they have it in stock. I believe one of our members (WayneW?) had some problems with delivery or the fact that they didn't have an item in stock when it was listed on their web page (even though they let him order it via the web page).

Just can't remember the details (that age thing I guess). B)

Direct Sales customer service is the pits. They will not answer email. But if you get them on the phone, they eventually made it right. So, i guess the bottom line is "trust, but verify & nag often"?

Thanks for the input. I decided to order a wireless model from SmartHome during the 15% sale. With them I know there will be no hassle returning it if it doesn't do what I need so minimal risk.

Why are the extra camera's the same price as a camera and receiver???

Otherwise looks like a nice camera.

Digger said:
Why are the extra camera's the same price as a camera and receiver???

Otherwise looks like a nice camera.
I think the combo set was on sale while the extra cameras were not so if you need more than 1, buy extra sets.

Back