don't know if this is weird

v1rtu0s1ty

Ok, it's the first time I've experienced this. I've been bouncing my ELK and I don't hear any announcement at all during boot up. When I was connecting the door contact wire to the M1XIN, I forgot to turn the system off. It didn't make any announcement though, neither beep. I then went to the keypad and modified zone 25 to type 3 which is Perimeter instant then 3 which is supervised eol on short if my memory recalls correctly. I also enabled the chime and that's the time the system kept saying all my rules announcted. The rule is

whenever zone is not secure
speak zone

I turned off the system, then turned it back on, then during the 10 sec bootup, it was saying all the 9 rules I created until it finished saying all of them. I've never experienced this previously. Like what I said, I've been bouncing the system and never heard those rules being said during bootup. Do you think that when I connected the door contact while the system was ON could have messed up some settings? What should I look at?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Neil

Unless you put voltage (like touching a wire to VAUX or 120v) into the system connecting your door contact, you cannot do any harm. The system is design to handle opens, shorts and all resistances between at a very fast clip.

It's impossible because I don't have any VAUX and NEG in the XIN. And I already have direct connection from motion sensor +- to the VAUX/NEG via the cat5 cable.

So does your guys announce messages when you turn on the system?

Can someone please verify it too? I'm wondering why it wasn't doing it before. It would only announce if I open the window. And it's really weird because, the system would say "Living Room open" during boot up but living room window is close.

Just spoke to Amy of Elk PRoducts and she recreated the scenario and it was not doing the behavior I have. She told me to export my account and email it. I will keep you posted folks. So something is really messed up.

EDIT: She also told me that it is imperative that the system be turned off when we add sensors. But she also told me that the system is able to handle things such as adding sensors when it is turned ON.

I have sent the export to Amy of Elk. Let's wait what she'll find out.

On the other hand, looks like I've got some issues somewhere. I went to diagnostics and saw DataBusErrors. I have a value of RETRY T1A1 00017. If I remember correctly, the last number was 00000. Can anyone please check yours? It's in the System Diagnostics.

Thanks!

The databus error that you describe is OK. Every time you turn off the system it will reset to zero. What you need to look for is if the databus error is rapidly jump up then you have a problem.

and here is the other thing I noticed recently.

The only rules that gets ran are the sensors that are connected to the M1XIN card. The rules on the sensors connected to the M1 is not executed which is good.

I have tried securing all the wires but no luck. It still plays the rules when I boot it up. Oh, and also, while watching the DataBusErrors on the LCD screen on KP2, the rules will get executed. :) I wasn't doing even anything.

is there anything I need to jumper on the XIN card? It's terminated to the M1DBH and I have a terminator on the M1DBH.

Here is another thing I noticed earlier. I deleted all the rules. I created one rule for the window in the family which is connected to the XIN. I clicked "Send to Control" button and it announced it. :) I did it 3 times, all the same behavior. :(

Something might have been messed up.

tuantu said:
The databus error that you describe is OK. Every time you turn off the system it will reset to zero. What you need to look for is if the databus error is rapidly jump up then you have a problem.
I looked at it again and I have a count of 2 after I rebooted it 3 hours ago. Looks like it's fine then.

v1rtu0s1ty said:
is there anything I need to jumper on the XIN card? It's terminated to the M1DBH and I have a terminator on the M1DBH.
Are you saying the XIN is attached to the DBH and the XIN has the terminator jumpered and the terminating plug is in the last slot in the DBH? Is the M1 jumpered (J3)? If the M1 itself is terminated and the DBH is terminated, then the XIN should not be. Only 2 terminations on the bus.

Steve said:
v1rtu0s1ty said:
Are you saying the XIN is attached to the DBH and the XIN has the terminator jumpered and the terminating plug is in the last slot in the DBH? Is the M1 jumpered (J3)? If the M1 itself is terminated and the DBH is terminated, then the XIN should not be. Only 2 terminations on the bus.
I don't recall anything that I did something in XIN. I used it as is when it came from the box. So, I don't think it's jumpered.

I have the RJ45 terminator on the DBH.
I have J3 jumpered in M1 too.

Back