Driveway sensor malfunctions from short power outages

JimS

I have had a Mighty Mule FM141 sensor installed for about a year and for the most part it has been working well. But in the last couple weeks I have had a couple short power outages (less than a couple minutes) that have caused the sensor to stop working. I am able to recover by powering down for a several minutes and powering it back up.

I should note that this isn't their current version. I got it new in the box from ebay and it was a few years old at the time. I tested it before installing it in the final location and found that short power interruptions made the device never report a vehicle. I was able to test out a current model about a year ago and it did not seem to have the problem.

The power supply I am using has a hold up time of about a minute due to the low current of the sensor.

On one interruption the output stuck closed, giving a continuous indication of a vehicle instead of a pulse. That was immediately obvious because I have a beeper connected. The second failure just caused the unit to stop detecting cars and wasn't noticed for a while.

My plan is to make a supervisory circuit that detects undervoltage and keeps power off a minimum time (say 30 seconds) before restoring power. I am thinking of using an Arduino as a node for reporting the status of the sensor and could use the Arduino also as a power supervisor.

Just wanted to let others know of this issue, see if anyone else has observed it, and what others may have done to fix it.

Not sure what the voltage is, but what if you ran it off a small battery with a maintenance charger attached? Then it'd just never lose power again. At probably ~$20, it'd be a bit cheaper than an arduino (granted, not as fun).

Good points. I could connect it to the alarm system battery nearby. But I want to be able to cycle power if it latches up for lightening although so far that hasn't happened. And I want to get the input into my HA system.

Power cycle is easy to accomplish by hooking it to a relay/output on the alarm panel - just run the power through a relay and when you need to reboot it, activate the relay for 30 seconds. The input should be just as easy - run it to a security input and your HA software can hopefully see that.

Back