DSC 24-hour zone not calling central station when alarming

apostolakisl

I have a DSC PC1832 at my office.  I have two partitions and this is the main partition I'm dealing with which has 7 of the 8 zones assigned to it.  I just installed a water zone on zone 8.  It is an EOL NC zone like the others.  When I trigger the water sensor, the siren sounds and partition 1 keypad shows the zone violated.  However, it never calls central station.  I tried configuring it as a 19 zone (water) and an 11 zone (24 hour burglar).  Neither calls central station.  I tested a regular alarm zone (front door) by arming the system and tripping it, and it did call central station as expected.  I can't figure this out.  I see no way to disable/enable central station dialing by zone or for different types of zones violated.  I did not try arming the system and tripping the water zone, maybe it will call, not sure.  I didn't think to try that until I got back home, however it does not call when tripping the zone when disarmed, even though it sounds the siren.  I monitored the phone line, and it never tried to call, it isn't a failed call.  I really need this zone to call central station regardless when disarmed.  I recently had a flood that happened while people were at the office, but were not in the area of the leak so it ended up doing a lot of damage.

Also, I have the Elk shut off valve which currently shuts the water off using PGM output 2 upon arming of the system.  I would like it to still do that, but also turn output 2 on whenever the water zone (zone 8) trips.  I don't think it is possible two have an "either/or" condition on this DSC panel.  I see where I can have it follow the status of zone 8, or follow the status of arming, but not both.  Perhaps there is a trick?  I can certainly install a couple of extra relays and use PGM 1 for following zone 8 and continue to use PGM 2 for following armed status.  But it would be nicer if I could program an either/or condition for PGM 2.

Thanks!

As you say, zone types 19 and 11 are 24-hour zones, so I would expect them to notify the central station when tripped.  From your description, I can't see anything that you're doing wrong.  You may be right that the panel will only notify the CS if it is armed, though that is not what I would have expected.

One thing you could try is swapping the zone with one of your others that you know works and see if that changes anything.

I don't know of any way on the DSC panel to get a programmed output to follow the status of two zones.  So I think your solution of using two outputs and relays is the way to go.  You probably could use a single relay and a pair of diodes to connect the two outputs to the relay coil, with the diodes doing the "OR" logic.

RAL said:
As you say, zone types 19 and 11 are 24-hour zones, so I would expect them to notify the central station when tripped.  From your description, I can't see anything that you're doing wrong.  You may be right that the panel will only notify the CS if it is armed, though that is not what I would have expected.

One thing you could try is swapping the zone with one of your others that you know works and see if that changes anything.

I don't know of any way on the DSC panel to get a programmed output to follow the status of two zones.  So I think your solution of using two outputs and relays is the way to go.  You probably could use a single relay and a pair of diodes to connect the two outputs to the relay coil, with the diodes doing the "OR" logic.
Thanks for the comments.  I do believe you can do two (or more) zones as "ands" or "ors" but not a zone and a system event/status.  I haven't tried it, but I thought maybe I could use program one to trigger on armed status, which opens a relay connected to a non-alarm zone.  Then have output 2 follow the "or" situation of that zone or the water zone.  Your diode idea keeps a zone free, though.

I think maybe I found something as to why the panel isn't reporting to the CS. The proper reporting code needs to be configured for the event.

This is from the installation manual v4.6

[320] to [349] Reporting Codes
Program the reporting code for all events to be transmitted. For a description of when each reporting event will be transmitted, refer to Appendix A – Reporting Codes. The panel also supports Automatic SIA and Automatic Contact ID reporting. Program data [00] to disable the reporting of an event. If any other data is programmed (Data [01] to [FF]), the panel will automatically generate the correct reporting event when transmitting to the central station. For all formats excluding Automatic SIA and Automatic Contact ID, the panel will not attempt to report an event if data [00] or data [FF] is programmed for the reporting code.

RAL said:
I think maybe I found something as to why the panel isn't reporting to the CS. The proper reporting code needs to be configured for the event.

This is from the installation manual v4.6

[320] to [349] Reporting Codes
Program the reporting code for all events to be transmitted. For a description of when each reporting event will be transmitted, refer to Appendix A – Reporting Codes. The panel also supports Automatic SIA and Automatic Contact ID reporting. Program data [00] to disable the reporting of an event. If any other data is programmed (Data [01] to [FF]), the panel will automatically generate the correct reporting event when transmitting to the central station. For all formats excluding Automatic SIA and Automatic Contact ID, the panel will not attempt to report an event if data [00] or data [FF] is programmed for the reporting code.
Excellent!  That may be the trick.  I'll give it a try on Tuesday and let you know.

That looks like it worked.  Thanks!  I don't recall ever setting reporting codes for any of the other zones, so I don't know why I had to for this zone.  Seems like setting the zone type to 24 hour water would set the reporting to the same?  I guess not.

And regarding the outputs.  The outputs are switched grounds.  So I didn't need to do anything except use a little reed relay to keep the current down on PGM 1 and 2.  PGM 1 can only sink 30ma and the full sized electromagnetic relay that operates the valve is 50ma (PGM 2 can handle that but not 1).  So I connected the aux hot off the DSC mother board  to the reed relay hot and connected the ground to both PGM 1 and PGM 2.  So if either PGM 1 or 2 closes to ground, the reed relay closes and that closes the full sized relay that actuates the valve.  I need both NO and NC wires, so I can't just put the reed relay direct to the water valve.  I'm also going to put a manual switch in parallel with the reed relay, that way I can manually shut off the water.

Ok.  I'm glad setting the report codes did the trick.  All I can think of is that when you initially set up the panel with your central station, they ahd you enter some the codes for the other zones. 

I didn't remember that the DSC outputs switch to ground. I was thinking they were active voltage outputs similar to the Elk's.  Your way of doing it is a good solution.  I can't think of a better way.

RAL said:
Ok.  I'm glad setting the report codes did the trick.  All I can think of is that when you initially set up the panel with your central station, they ahd you enter some the codes for the other zones. 

I didn't remember that the DSC outputs switch to ground. I was thinking they were active voltage outputs similar to the Elk's.  Your way of doing it is a good solution.  I can't think of a better way.
Yeah, actually they called into the panel and set their info into it.  Not sure if they set those codes or not.  Thing is, they (Watchlight Alarm Relay) don't even pay any attention to the reporting code.  You send them an email with what each zone is and how you want them to respond to it.

Back