Elk compatible thermostat that can do re-circ

Sendero

When my house was built, they had put in a external air intake with a power damper to close it off. The setup had a honeywell controller separate from the thermostat that would, on schedule, open up the damper and run just the fan to pull in outside fresh air. 

When the installer put in my heat pump and my Aprilaire 8870, they left that honeywell controller disconnected. Now, with many days having the outside air a good bit cooler than inside but not enough to really want to run the A/C, I'd like to get that exterior air intake working agin. I'm not sure that the 8870 can do it. 

What I want is a mode I can put the thermostat in to where it opens up the damper and runs the fan for a set amount of time. I want this to be controllable from the Elk too. Or, I guess I could hook thermostat directly up to CQC (if supported) to get functionality I want that way if Elk doesn't support it. 

Can the 8870 do this? If not, would the new 8800? Or, is there a better thermostat option that works with either the ELK directly or with CQC? 

Thanks for any suggestions!

Contact Aprilaire tech support and ask them about it. 1(800)334-6011, Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Central Standard Time. They have been most helpful to me in the past. I am running the 8800 but I am not using it with an outside damper.

I'd be surprised if a thermostat can do that, even a high-end one, but doesn't the ELK have a relay that could do that? I use two HAI relays to control my two outside air intakes. They open when the outside temp. is cool and my home needs cooling and also when my Honeywell CO2 sensor says my home needs extra ventilation due to high CO2. (Higher CO2 levels indicate the need for additional ventilation.)  It works great and I never need to to touch it. The CO2 sensors are a bit pricey but they do work good. 

https://customer.honeywell.com/en-US/Pages/department.aspx?cat=HonECC%20Catalog&category=CO2+Sensors&catpath=1.4.31.4

I know the RCS thermostats do that - RCS OEM's the tstats for a large local HVAC company and they call that the Fresh Air damper, or they have a few other names for it (SmartVent is one).  I have the now-discontinued communicating zone controller, but that's definitely an option in mine.

Point is, it's not unheard of - so definitely contact the vendor.

The RCS thermostats do this function.   Its called smartvent.  The feature is only available in the TR60, the TR16 does NOT have the feature.

Back