ELK Flush Keypad

I like the temperature option on the keypad myself. I have held off on putting keypads in since I had my eye on the new one. It provides an aesthetic way of getting the temperature data if a keypad happens to be at that location.

I liked the new keypads because they were cleaner and smaller. I'd pay a bit more to get temperature sensors as well.

Maybe a modular design to allow a low cost option and then add in the other modules? Easier said than done of course as this one is smaller as well...

I don't see the function keys as a big deal since that was known. As far as the other issues, I'm sort of neutral as I just want the darn thing shipped and don't want anything else delaying that! :D

SQUEEK, SQUEEK, SQUEEK, SQUEEK

Well thats gonna upset my sister since I already sold her on the new keypad and told her it displayed temperature. I also have a few on order to replace mine thinking the same thing. Maybe we all just assumed is was just a nicer version of the KP1? If installers want a cheaper keypad because of customers comparing to el cheapo systems, then maybe Elk should come out with a really stripped down barebones inexpensive keypad. But please leave the KP2 with all the functionality we're accustomed to. And yes, it IS worth a few extra dollars to have it.

SQUEEK, SQUEEK, SQUEEK, SQUEEK,

The prox reader I can understand... may not be room for it in the new package. Same could be said for the speaker and additinoal function keys. But the temperature ability just doesn't make sense. A thermister is tiny, and cheap, and probably appreciated by more people than the other features that were dropped. It does seem like a strange decision.

SQUEEK, SQUEEK

Having the temp sensor was a BIG plus for me in the new keypad... saving a few bucks wasn't the issue. I wanted the new keypad for the flush mounting and cause I thought it looked better than the original keypad. Please give us an inexpensive mod to put the sensor in the new keypad... I have 3 new keypads on order now.
tia,
Ron

SQUEEK, SQUEEK

I agree that I could live with out the 2 extra function keys and using and external Prox mounted behind. But the Temp Sensor is what broke my back. Everytime we bring up the KP2 we find out about another feature that is different from the original. I too have held off on purchasing more keypads due to the new keypad coming out. I have also got 3 installs on hold for the new keypads and multiple orders that I may now have to cancel. The Temp sensor is a required feature that is a selling point and I know my customers are going to be very disapointed when I tell them on Monday.

No Temp. sensor is a killer for me too!

I've been waiting to replace my KP1's because the KP2's look so much nicer but the Temp. sensors are absolutely necessary. Guess the KP1's will have to stay up for a while. I really think that decision was a mistake by Elk. Fortunately, they don't make them often..

Hmmm. I don't actually need a temp sensor in the location that I was going to put the KP2 on, but I have to admit I'm a little concerned about ordering a product if it's going to be obsoleted by a KP3 quickly.

I was leaning towards a KP2 b/c of the form factor. I don't really care about a few dozen dollars here/there, heck i'm already in for $3K on the Elk. If $$ was the reason, and you can mod it to add the sensor, i'm fine with that.

Spanky said:
A quote: "If you glue your butt to the floor around ELK, you may get it ripped off due to change." :D
I hope the KP2 designer(s) didn't have their butts glued to the floor! In as much as there is a lot of squeeking here I do also have to add that this is a rare miss for Elk, I guess you're entiled to one occasionally - now don't let it happen again! ;) I sure hope the 'logic' is still on the board so the whole thing doesn't need to be re-engineered, would be nice if its just a matter of soldering on the sensor.

For reference I pulled this together from the Elk Web site for all to review
Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------
KP1: Internal Temperature Sensor

KP2: NONE
KP1: Large, Easy to Read Characters LCD Display Back lighted with Adjustable Intensity 

KP2: Blue/white Backlighted Hi-Contrast LCD Display
KP1: Removable Hinged Door / Surface Mount

KP2: Surface mounts to a standard 1 or 2 gang electrical box  Optional recess ’flush’ mount kit available (ELK-M1BBK2) 
KP1: Programmable Function Keys (6) 

KP2: Four (4) Programmable Function Keys 
KP1: Unique Menu Navigation/Direction Keys 

KP2: Unique Menu Navigation/Direction Keys 
KP1: Operates on 4-Wires (M1 Data Bus) 

KP2: Operates from the M1/EZ8 ’RS-485’ Data Bus 
KP1: Built-in Speaker with Adjustable Beep Tone and Volume 

KP2: Built-in Piezo Sounder with adjustable pitch 
KP1: Accepts Plug-in Proximity Card Reader (Optional) 

KP2: Accepts "External" 26 bit Weigand Prox Reader (Optional)
KP1: Input for 1 Supervised Zone 

KP2: Input for 1 Supervised Zone 
KP1: One Programmable Voltage Output 

KP2: One Programmable "Switched Positive" Voltage Output 
KP1: Exit, Stay, Chime, and Bypass Keys 

KP2: Exit, Stay, Chime, and Bypass Keys 
KP1: Input Connection: 6 Pin Plug-in "Flying Lead" Connector Included 

KP2: Connection: 6 Pin Plug-in "Flying Lead" Connector (Included) 
KP1: Proximity Connection: 5 Pin Plug-in "Flying Lead" Connector (optional ELK-WO35A required for external proximity reader) 

KP2: Not specified
KP1: Color: Glacier White 

KP2: Color: White 
KP1: Operating Voltage: 13.8 VDC 

KP2: Operating Voltage: 13.8 VDC 
KP1: Current Draw: 40 - 50 mA Idle (low back light level, sounder silent) 160 mA Fully Active (max. back light & sounder active)

KP2: Current Draw: 40 - 50 mA Idle (low back light level, sounder silent) 160 mA Fully Active (max. back light & sounder active)
KP1: Size: 6.875" W x 5.25" H x 1.375 D 

KP2: Size: 4.658" W x 5.5" H x .95" D (.375" D with recess mount)

Are all the wires of the cat5 used for the new keypad? If not maybe I can use some of them to put an AprilAire flush temp sensor nearby..
Ron

It all depends on if you are using the Data Bus Hub non retro version. If you are then only 2 wires are availible, if not then 4 wires are availible.

toymaster458 said:
It all depends on if you are using the Data Bus Hub non retro version. If you are then only 2 wires are availible, if not then 4 wires are availible.
I am not using the retro ... So will there be enough wires left to connect to the AprilAire temp sensor?
tia,
Ron

Back