ELK Flush Keypad

Can any confirm if I am right on the above post? (which reader fits behind the kp2?)

Second question is, the internal reader comes with a prox card, anyone know if that one does?

Hmm, given the lack of response I'm going to guess that not many have gone this route, even though the KP2 was popular. This leads me to another question:

Are prox readers a good idea? I was thinking to avoid codes to simplify it for my wife, and make it easier to enable/disable access for family guests who might need access to the system (and if they lost it, easy enough to disable the key).

I was going the prox reader route, until I realized I liked the GE caddx remote fobs better, and they are as easy to disable as prox. cards. Being able to control exterior lighting, garage door etc, was a big bonus.

Hmm good point, I had thought prox cards were good from the habit standpoint. Turning on the alarm from outside was not, in my opinion the best 'habit'. Just my initial thoughts.

I figured if the alarm is not a habit then it does no good...

I don't know how I missed this thread before, but it answers some questions I had and raises a few others. I have just installed three KP2 into my first Elk system. I have never used the KP1's, so I didn't have anything to compare them to. However, I do know that I saw somewhere that the KP2 was supposed to have a temp sensor embedded, but we now know that to have been erroneous. Tell me, is it a software/firmware issue or is it a fact that there is no temp sensor installed at all, therefore a firmware update will not solve the problem for installed systems? Next question: (I'm typing this from work, so I am going form memory here) The KP2 has a wire bundle that attaches to a small jumper riser on the keyback circuit card. There are several wires that are not connected (I don't remember which colors). What are they for? And finally, how do you adjust the tone of the KP2?

Skip

Tell me, is it a software/firmware issue or is it a fact that there is no temp sensor installed at all, therefore a firmware update will not solve the problem for installed systems?
It is a hardware, not firmware issue, so it will take circuit mods to add.
The KP2 has a wire bundle that attaches to a small jumper riser on the keyback circuit card. There are several wires that are not connected (I don't remember which colors). What are they for?
Blue/Brown for optional zone or output. See the manual for details.
And finally, how do you adjust the tone of the KP2?
Menu 8 > 3 > 1

I might be mistaken but I thought there was a reason the temperature sensor could not be used in the KP-2. There was a thread somewhere that explained the reason why it could not be added if I remember correctly.

Well I decided to try the external prox readers on 2 KP2 keypads. We will see once I start using them. The caddx is nice, but as noted I want the right 'habits', although I could see using caddx fobs in the car for lighting.

EDIT: updated external prox readers and specified KP2 keypads.

Back