ELK M1 + AlarmNet 7845iGSM + Alarm Relay

etwards

Hello,

This is my first post and I'm a new user to the forum. 

I've installed an ELK M1 Gold control panel in my new home and I am working to get the system operational to be monitored by Alarm Relay (most likely). I have an Ademco 7845iGSM cellular communicator from my older home that I would like to incorporate into the system. Below are my questions:

1.  I'd like to have both internet and cellular monitoring. Would you recommend that I use cellular communication as primary and Internet as backup or vice versa?

2.  How do I connect the 7845iGSM to the M1?  I found a Honeywell Tech Note bulletin that states "The 7845GSMR / 7845i-GSM will work in Zone mode with any manufacturer's security panel. To use the cellular communicator on these products you will need to determine if your device will be providing a postive voltage output, negative/pull-to-ground, or a contact closure (Normal Open/Normal Closed). Your next step will be to provide the 7845GSMR/7845i-GSM zone inputs for the correct trigger type: V+, V-, or EOLR."  Given this explanation, any detailed guidance you can provide on how to wire the 7845iGSM to the M1 would be greatly appreciated. 

3.  Internet monitoring - It is not clear to me if I can connect to Alarm Relay with just the ELM-M1XEP ethernet module or if I also need a broadband internet model? I have a call into Alarm Relay but wondering if anyone can answer this question for me?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide re: these questions.

1. TCP/IP has too many variables and steps the signal takes that are out of the control of a UL listed central station provider. If your modem/router/etc. doesn't have a suitable UPS or QOS, not to mention the service tier you may have...it's not going to be as reliable of a connection compared to cellular. 

2. I wouldn't use the 7845I in this application....it defeats the bulk of the beauty of what data can be sent to the CS. The only items you'd be able to send is summary data via the inputs on the 7845I, so you would get an alarm (IE: Burg) but no information as to zone, area, or what tripped.  You could provide either dry contact inputs or LV triggers, but dry contacts are the safest to use. That would require a relay board for the M1.

I would strongly recommend getting a XSP and 4500 if you really are serious about cellular. It's really not that expensive of a proposition for what it gains you.

3. You would use the XEP, assuming they have a compatible receiver at their head end. That would need to be confirmed by them and they would need to give you the compatible format it can receive.

Thanks for your replies. Very helpful.

I decided to go with the 4500EZ. The XSP is required to work with the 4500... correct?  I got conflicting info from Alarm Relay. I've read a little bit about the 4500 installation.  Apparently there is a special serial cable required. Any idea how to get one?  Are there any online sources? 

Back