Elk M1 and CADDX wireless motion detector

MRL

I would like to know when a motion detector detects motion even though the system is not armed. The CADDX motion detector sends out a signal every 3 minutes as motion is detected. I looked at the Elk rule programming events but do not see an event for motion detection (again when not armed). How do I do this?

The Caddix Wireless Motion will only transmit once every 3 or 4 minutes (to conserve battery power) from what I remember.

I assume you want to use the motion for automation. What you can do is make the zone a "non alarm" zone. Then you can say when that zone is violated to do whatever task you want.

Now this would not allow the motion to be used for security purposes since its a non alarm zone. If you want to do that also you can have the non alarm zone trigger output 3 when the system is armed away. Then have output 3 contacts across another zone that is set up as a security zone.

If you think it through there is probably a slightly easier way to do this but I think the above will get you on the right track.

Good luck!

The Caddix Wireless Motion will only transmit once every 3 or 4 minutes (to conserve battery power) from what I remember.
It will only trip every 3 minutes as per the documentation.

Then have output 3 contacts across another zone that is set up as a security zone.
I am not sure I understand what you are saying here. What do I connect to output 3?

Use the contacts of Output 3 (the relay on the M1) to trip a zone such as Zone 10 which can be set up as an interior burg zone.

This way when you are home and not armed it will do your automation and when you are armed away it will do your security.

The more I think about it there is an easier way I think.......going to go explore RP and will let you know

Lets say that the motion is Zone 48. try the following:

Whenever Zone 48 is not secure

And the system is disarmed

Then turn on living room lights for 20 mins (or whatever you want it to do)

Define the motion detector input zone as type 04 "burglar interior' and it will operate as a buirglar zone when the system is armed "Away" and as a detectable input when the system is armed in "Stay" or "Night" mode to control lighting etc

Just define your zone Burglar Interior (or another appropriate). Then use a rule like this one:

WHENEVER Master Bedroom (Zn 114) BECOMES NOT SECURE
AND Alarm (Area 1) ARM STATE = DISARMED
THEN ANNOUNCE Say Time (vm238)

I tried it and worked.

If you want the motion detector to work everytime you pass through its field of view, you might want to consider a hardwire motion detector which will operate with NO 3 minute time restriction.

Back