ELK M1: GE NX-481 false violated zone status

mishab

Need help trying to troubleshoot what is going on with my Elk M1 Gold.
Recently, I started observing Elk M1 reporting violated zone status. No recent changes of any kind made
to the set up.
I have a GE Caddx expander with several GE NX-481 Motion sensors. At least one is having repeated issues.
My observation: Randomly (every 3 min after 3-minute motion lockout) a GE  NX-481 reports a zone status as violated open (9) then immediately zone status as normal EOL (2). This is definitely a false alarm because nothing in the room is moving.

I have a wifi router near the motion sensor, could it be that it is causing the issue? Otherwise, what else can cause the motion sensor to report zone status as 9? 

Thanks.

Misha

I don't think anyone here is going to be able to tell you with certainty what your problem is other than a bad detector.  I use many of those GE NX-481 detectors and they always have worked great.  One time I had a small spider in one that tripped false alarms, but that can be eliminated by sealing it better. 

Wi-Fi access point shouldn't be a problem, but its never a good idea to put a motion sensor within 2 or 3 feet of anything that generates rf or electrical noise.  Its also always a good idea to turn on cross-zoning, if you have many motion detectors.  Then one false alarm won't cause a real alarm.  It has saved me, and obviously if someone does break in your house, they will always trip more than one detector. 

Thank you Ano and DELInstallations for finding time to reply to my question.
Here is an update:
I swapped the motion sensors and the "new" sensor started to report violations, which suggests that:
- the house is hunted and i have a ghost. Time to call ghostbusters.
- there is a small vibration (unlikely)
- light reflection of some sort

Just to note, the sensor is in the garage and is facing the garage door. the door has no windows and the door does not vibrate.
I also ruled out the wifi router.
Anything else?

Misha 

mishab said:
Thank you Ano and DELInstallations for finding time to reply to my question.
Here is an update:
I swapped the motion sensors and the "new" sensor started to report violations, which suggests that:
- the house is hunted and i have a ghost. Time to call ghostbusters.
- there is a small vibration (unlikely)
- light reflection of some sort

Just to note, the sensor is in the garage and is facing the garage door. the door has no windows and the door does not vibrate.
I also ruled out the wifi router.
Anything else?

Misha 
The placement is probably not good. This motion detector detects motion ACROSS its field of vision, NOT TOWARD or AWAY.  If you are attempting to catch someone going INTO the garage, this is a bad installation. In addition, as you noted, it also causes false alarms.  Mount the detector near the door facing in, facing a solid wall with no windows. If there has to be windows, this detector allows you to put black tape inside the lens to block that but its best not to go that route if you can avoid it.

I would look at the backplate and possibly not sitting square. I would remove all components from the wall and test using that method.

Those PIR's and mounts aren't exactly that robust or solid.

I can't comment about the installation location being appropriate or not, however PIR's operate by detecting the movement across the FOV rather than towards it.

Back