Elk m1 gold - adding M1XRF2H

treo650

Hello, need some help please..

I've been searching, but I can't get a clear answer so I thought I'd ask.

I currently have a working m1 gold setup with a standard one M1KP keypad setup.

1) I read that I am able to connect two data devices to the m1 gold directly, so am I able to parallel connect the M1xrf2h via home runned to the panel?

2) I also have a spare M1DBHR laying around, so I plan to add this. But of I do add this, do I now put the KP1 keypad on port 1 of the hub? And wireless on port 2? Is adding the hub considered better than running two devices parallel to the panel, or is it not necessary for two devices?

I figure I have it laying around, it can't hurt?

3) do I need to do anything special on the KP2 software to reenroll the keypad if I add the M1DBH? Will the panel still recognize the keypad setup or must it all be re-set up?

4) how about the jumpers? I read that there is a JP1 jumper on the wireless M1XRF2H, do I need to do anything to it for my setup?
I currently have only 1-12 wired cones connected

5) the M1xrf2h is a used unit from eBay.. Should I hard reset it first? How do I hard reset this before hooking it up?

Thanks in advance for the help

treo650 said:
Hello, need some help please.. I've been searching, but I can't get a clear answer so I thought I'd ask. I currently have a working m1 gold setup with a standard one M1KP keypad setup. 1) I read that I am able to connect two data devices to the m1 gold directly, so am I able to parallel connect the M1xrf2h via home runned to the panel? 2) I also have a spare M1DBHR laying around, so I plan to add this. But of I do add this, do I now put the KP1 keypad on port 1 of the hub? And wireless on port 2? Is adding the hub considered better than running two devices parallel to the panel, or is it not necessary for two devices? I figure I have it laying around, it can't hurt? 3) do I need to do anything special on the KP2 software to reenroll the keypad if I add the M1DBH? Will the panel still recognize the keypad setup or must it all be re-set up? 4) how about the jumpers? I read that there is a JP1 jumper on the wireless M1XRF2H, do I need to do anything to it for my setup? I currently have only 1-12 wired cones connected 5) the M1xrf2h is a used unit from eBay.. Should I hard reset it first? How do I hard reset this before hooking it up? Thanks in advance for the help

1. The M1 data bus can have 2 branches, with each branch daisy chained to multiple devices.  If the only devices that you have connected to the data bus will be the one M1KP and the M1XRF2H, then you can connect each of them via a home run.  That will give you the 2 branches that the M1 allows.

2. I wouldn't use the M1DBHR if all you have is the 2 devices.  It's not necessary, and just adds an unnecessary complication and possible point of failure.

3. The M1DBH or M1DBHR are transparent to the M1 and the connected devices.  You don't need to do anything special in terms of enrollment.  But you do have to be careful to set up the jumpers properly.

4. If you leave the M1DBHR out and have things wired up with the two home runs, you should install a termination jumper on the M1KP and also on the M1XRF2H.   Do NOT install a jumper on the M1.  The rule is that the data bus should always have 2 terminating jumpers and only 2 jumpers installed.  The termination needs to be at the ends of the 2 branches.  When there is only one branch, then you place the second jumper on the on M1 itself.

5. There is nothing to reset on the M1XRF2H.  The firmware can be updated if necessary.  But I don't see any new releases on the Elk web site.

Thanks @RAL!

1) I will take your advice and not install the M1DBHR... How do I enroll the new M1XRF2H, will I do it from the Rp2 software?

3) the wired zones are currently on default zones 1-16, can I set the dip switches to make the M1xrf2h data bus address 6, and start my wireless at zone 81? Are there amy drawbacks for skipping so many unused zones?

1) Yes, your jumpers are correct for the current set up.  When you add the M1XRF2H on the second home run, remove the jumper from the M1 JP3 and install it on the M1XRF2H instead.

2) You enroll the M1XRF2H like any other device, through the Bus Enrollment process.  You can do this through RP2 when you do a Send/Rcv menu.  You can also do it via the keypad. Once you have the M1XRF2H enrolled, then you will need to enroll the individual wireless transmitters that you plan to install.  This process is explained in the M1XRF2H manual.

3) I would avoid putting the wireless receiver on the upper addresses.  The hardwired zones (1-16) on the M1 are fixed and can't be moved.  So the lowest address for a wireless zone is 17.  Since the wireless receiver can occupy up to 144 zones, it is best to let it start at 17 and extend upward.  If you plan to add additional hardwired zones using M1XINs, configure those at the top (say 177-192) and work downward.  If you don't use all 144 wireless zones, that's ok, you'll have unused space above the last wireless zone you've configured and below the hardwired zones at the top end.  That space can then be used in the future to grow the wireless zone space upward, or hardwired zones downward.

If you place the wireless zones at a higher starting address and don't leave enough space to grow, you'll have a big job later to reconfigure all the existing zones to move them downward to a new starting address. 

There is a table in the M1XRF2H manual that shows you how to configure the address switches for the zone where you want the wireless addresses to start.

Awesome....i feel good about the setup, now just need to wait for the delivery! Thanks again.

One last question is there a difference between the 5816 and the 5816WMWH? Or are they the exact same unit? (I see some ebay users and Amazon sellers list the WMH
and some doesn't)

The difference is whether a magnet is included with the transmitter.  I think before Honeywell offered the brown version, it was just marketed as the 5816 with no suffix.  Not sure if those plain 5816s included the magnet or not.

5816 or 5816MN – Mini Door/Window Transmitter (White)
5816WMWH – Door/Window Transmitter with magnet (White)
5899 – 4-pack of magnets (White)
5816WMBR – Door/Window Transmitter with magnet (Brown)
5816BR – 3-pack (Brown) cases
5898BR – 10-pack of magnets (Brown)

Back