Elk M1 Gold Homeowner Installation and Service Manual

Old11C4

Is there any interest in combined efforts for a compiling a library for sharing documentation for the Elk M1 Gold. This would be a great service for DIY Installs and home resale. Also for the Wife - if service is ever needed while we are out of town.

I'm still building my system - mostly in my mind now - from somewhere in Iraq. I'm selecting parts and developing order lists for when I get back. Consequently, I'm also making up diagrams in detail so I don't forget how I planned to assembly my parts.

If we do a combined effort on documentation, we may all be able to create an outstanding self help resource.

I'm planning to have a system overview
Reference to Elk's install manual - no reason to recreate the wheel
Zone & Output list (in spreadsheet - something we all need anyway)
Diagrams of all circuits, even simple door contacts.
Slip pages for wiring standard - such as Cat5/6 (T568A for residential use)
Index of .pdf files for all components installed.
Access documentation for Elk, ElkRP, and eKeypad

The idea is to create a presentation as a single document (3" Ring Binder(s) with digits on CD) as opposed to a box of jumbled notes. Better curb appeal - you think?

Of course we don't all use eKeypad, but other setup notes can be saved in the library and individual DIY'ers downloads their applicable boilerplate. Such a resource could also be useful to professional custom installers to document systems for their service techs.

Just an idea - Any Comments?

Old11C4
From somewhere in Iraq

This is a fine idea. Today, good manufacturer "User Guides" are few and far between.

In the early computer days it was customary for most systems and subsystems to have (at least) both a "product manual" and a "user guide" (or "programmer's guide").

The "product manual" was a dry, excruciatingly detailed documentation of every aspect of the system, indespensible of course, but purely a reference item. It told you everything about the pieces of the system, but not how to put the pieces together.

The "user (or programmer's) guide" was the ready, daily resource to actually getting things done. It was here that the manufacturer explained the whys and hows of the system's facilities and showed the most common applications of its functions. The things that were documented in the product manual were here put into context. This was a book that you *read* while the other was usually on the shelf for occasional reference.

The M1 Installation Manual perhaps tries to be both, but I think is more in the first category. Because of this, I supposed that there were many things about the security and home automation business that were such basic, common knowledge among the professionals that they didn't need to be stated.

Whether that's the case or not, the M1 manual can certainly be helped with a good, practical, useful supplement.

I agree with your analysis and believe that it applies to the industry as a whole -- not Elk Products alone. Another observation I see in your evaluation is the comparison between a computer type technical field and a building trade. I would expect that there are a number of “computer geeks†in this forum -- as such would naturally be interested in computerizing their homes. We may expect very different levels of documentation then the industry-at-large.

With that said, there is something that we can take from the open source programing world - self help and self development.

From reviewing the boards, I see a lot of people trying to do a lot of advanced monitoring/automation. I’m sure that Elk and it’s competitors major market is for general security installations at a satisfactory functionality/price point, which does little or nothing to challenge the capabilities of the M1-Gold. By compiling documentation of successful, uniform and thus tried-and-tested installations, we will improve the reliability of our installs -- not to mention being able to fix a broken zone without having to reverse engineer what we built five years prior and forgot about.

I’m currently trying to piece together a Type 32 Power Supervisory zone and an open collector opto-coupled transistor output from a UPS --with little to no documentation --and my equipment is half-way around the world. Wish me luck.

Old11C4

Interesting. I thought the manual was sufficient enough to get things going. I really can't see how you would be able to come up with every possible solution or combination of setups/rules/hardware/ etc.

Then there is all of the 3rd party devices and apps that have to interface with the M1, another book in itself.

Look's like a big project to say the least.

Not trying to bash here, just trying to shed some light on the size of the project.

I agree, the ELK M1 manual is very good.

Page 8. of M1 Installation & Programming Manual

"1.1 Planning the Installation
The first step in any multi-zone security system installation is planning the job.
1. Read this entire manual to familiarize yourself with all system features and procedures before actually beginning the
installation. ..."

And did I do that? Yes, I read all the parts I needed to read. -- skipped over the Keypad Programming and jumped to ElkRP. -- er --
-- so -- I guess that makes it a NO. (I'm re-reading all of it now.)

Some of the needed reference information is listed in the keypad programming instructions just where you would need such for keypad programming. There may be places where it is useful to recompile some of the information in a quick reference list. Has anyone already created such a cheat sheet? Do you want to share?

The 3rd party interface may offer us the most potential -- not everything, just what we use. When one of us does figure out a great way to wire up Keyfobs to automat locking and unlocking of Morningstar RF Door Locks, would that not be something useful to share. I want to know if people wish to trade diagrams and documents and help each other build their own custom reference manual. If we do want to share, what is the best way technically to accomplish such.

Another example: I worked up a spreadsheet to help plan, organize and map my zones. Sure Elk has a programing worksheet, but after half a dozen pen and ink changes I don't think it would be readable. My spreadsheet has Zones on the Left and Outputs on the right. I list what expansion board is used every 16 zones along with each items along with Type, Address, Area and power consumption. Anyone want a copy?

Old11C4
Over

Another example: I worked up a spreadsheet to help plan, organize and map my zones. Sure Elk has a programing worksheet, but after half a dozen pen and ink changes I don't think it would be readable. My spreadsheet has Zones on the Left and Outputs on the right. I list what expansion board is used every 16 zones along with each items along with Type, Address, Area and power consumption. Anyone want a copy?

If you could post a copy somewhere, it would be good to see what others are thinking as far as organizing the info. I've gotten as far as deciding what types of sensors and where, but still working through all the other details. They are pouring footings this week so I need to step up my planning for all the low-voltage stuff I'll be doing.

I would like a copy - link please.

If you could post a copy somewhere, it would be good to see what others are thinking as far as organizing the info. I've gotten as far as deciding what types of sensors and where, but still working through all the other details. They are pouring footings this week so I need to step up my planning for all the low-voltage stuff I'll be doing.

I'll start this idea with my M1G install layout. I think something like this would be helpful for DIY'ers. I did my best to study all of Elk's docs, but I think my layout could use some help with my wiring/connections.

Go to http://s399.photobucket.com/albums/pp72/buckchucko/M1Gold/ to view this jpg. I use Visio to make this layout.

This is my system layout for my HA project. This is many hours of design on my part. I am anxious for you all to take a look and tell me mistakes you see here. Some of the components connections were hard for me to follow using the ELK install documents.
I value all your input. Please advise.........

I agree, the ELK M1 manual is very good.

Page 8. of M1 Installation & Programming Manual

"1.1 Planning the Installation
The first step in any multi-zone security system installation is planning the job.
1. Read this entire manual to familiarize yourself with all system features and procedures before actually beginning the
installation. ..."

And did I do that? Yes, I read all the parts I needed to read. -- skipped over the Keypad Programming and jumped to ElkRP. -- er --
-- so -- I guess that makes it a NO. (I'm re-reading all of it now.)

Some of the needed reference information is listed in the keypad programming instructions just where you would need such for keypad programming. There may be places where it is useful to recompile some of the information in a quick reference list. Has anyone already created such a cheat sheet? Do you want to share?

The 3rd party interface may offer us the most potential -- not everything, just what we use. When one of us does figure out a great way to wire up Keyfobs to automat locking and unlocking of Morningstar RF Door Locks, would that not be something useful to share. I want to know if people wish to trade diagrams and documents and help each other build their own custom reference manual. If we do want to share, what is the best way technically to accomplish such.

Old11C4
Over

Wouldn't you mind to send me a copy of that spreadsheet, please? Many thanks! Hans

I also think this is an excellent idea, after all we are each doing this for each new install. As a group the developed tools and final system setups would be far better than anything individually produced.

Back