ELK M1 Siren vs. Speaker

rfdesq

Here is a recent log from NextAlarm:

Nov 18, 2006 06:03:09 PM External Siren 2 Restored
Nov 18, 2006 05:59:55 PM External Siren 2 Failure
Nov 18, 2006 05:59:52 PM External Siren 2 Restored
Nov 18, 2006 05:56:36 PM External Siren 2 Failure

Originally I had two ELK 45's hooked up to Output 2 and they overcurrented the panel. I disconnected one ELK 45 and set the other to millimiser. Here is the result of that change. I would like to poll the group to see what everyone is using, speakers or sirens. Also, I'd like to know why UL doesn't allow speakers. While sitting idle the M1 is drawing 350 milliamps. According to the customer when they returned to the house, within minutes thanks to NextAlarms cell phone notification, the siren was wailing. If I ran two ELK 44 speakers how much current does that draw? I only see ohms and watts not current draw on the specs. Now if I can attach a poll it will be easy to see what everyone is using. Thanks.

rfdesq said:
If I ran two ELK 44 speakers how much current does that draw? I only see ohms and watts not current draw on the specs.
The current draw will depend on the Volume set for Out2 Alarm. This volume will control output voltage and thus, but Ohm law you can calculate the current. In other words, you just decrease the volume until you reach a safe current draw.

elcano said:
The current draw will depend on the Volume set for Out2 Alarm.
I am at a friends house where I installed an M1. I don't have my laptop/ELKRP with me. I used the keypad menus to look for a volume control for output 2 but only found a volume control for output 1. Where is the volume control for output 2?

There is not a volume control for Output 2. It is a full on siren. To lower the volume on Output 2 you would need to add power resistors such as a 10 watt 10 ohm would cut the currrent in about half. You should be drawing abouty 750 milliamps per speaker in parallel. Two speakers on Output 2 plus speakers on Output 1 plus control, keypads, motions etc could be getting to the limit of the on board power supply. You may need to add an addition power supply.

I have 2 speakers connected to Output 1 and 2 of the low current piezo screamers on Output 2. For outside I have an Elk45 (not connected yet) that will be connected to a separate supply and battery and tripped via a relay on the M1RB. I could not vote because technically the answer is 'both'.

elcano said:
Ops! Sorry for speaking without checking first. :huh:
That's okay, it seemed logical. It made me go back to the installation manual for the millionth time and look it up. It looks like I need additional power whether I use voltage or speaker. I'll stick with voltage. I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a good reason this panel is showing an external 2 failure.

Output 2 failure occurs when there is no speaker attached to output 2 or the output transistor is damaged and leaking current through it.

If you have a speaker attached to output 2, probably the later is the problem.

ELK has just received the first shipment of our newly designed single gang speaker. It fits into a single gang box and has the wall plate included. The big difference in this speaker is that it is a 32 ohm speaker. Therefore you can put 8 or less of them in parallel to equal a maximum load of 4 ohms. They are loud for there size and inexpensive. The speaker can handle the equivalent of 40 watts into an 8 ohm speaker.

Spanky said:
Output 2 failure occurs when there is no speaker attached to output 2 or the output transistor is damaged and leaking current through it. If you have a speaker attached to output 2, probably the later is the problem.
This is a voltage output and an ELK 45 in millimiser setting is attached. Can you tell anything by the log above? The new speaker, is it interior only or can it be used for the exterior?

It is hard to tell from the log. Was the siren active during the time the log was transmitted?

If the PTC overcurrent protection activates, there will be a siren fault. Two 8 ohm speakers should not fire the PTC however.

Spanky

Do you have part number for this new recess speaker? Is it the one that can be mounted in the back of the KP2 keypad?

Spanky said:
It is hard to tell from the log. Was the siren active during the time the log was transmitted?

If the PTC overcurrent protection activates, there will be a siren fault. Two 8 ohm speakers should not fire the PTC however.
The siren was active and wailing when the customer returned to the home. This is one ELK 45 siren in millimiser mode NOT A SPEAKER. Thanks.

rfdesq,
Try adding a 2200 ohm resistor across Output 2 terminals. The self contained siren may not be passing enough current through it to keep the output 2 supervisory monitor satisfied.

The new single gang speaker is part # ELK-SP12F. It has the same 32 ohm speaker mounted to the plastic plate that will be available to go behind the M1KP2.

Spanky said:
rfdesq,
Try adding a 2200 ohm resistor across Output 2 terminals. The self contained siren may not be passing enough current through it to keep the output 2 supervisory monitor satisfied.
Spanky,

It never shows trouble in supervisory mode, only in an alarmed i.e. siren wailing, condition.

Back