Elk M1 "verify firmware" utility

Guy Lavoie

While looking around in ELKRP, I noticed that in the firmware upgrading menu, there is also a function to "verify firmware" and the help files don't explain it very well. What exactly does this do? Does it do a byte by byte comparison of the device's loaded firmware vs the copy in the disk file, or does it just do a checksum (or whatever) style verification.

Also, do the firmware images themselves have checksums or CRCs embedded into them? I was just wondering if someone wanted (for example) to modify some of the keypad prompts with a hex editor to translate them to another language, would this automatically mess up a checksum and make the file "corrupted"?

The verify program is a byte by byte comparision of the binary image file looking for a changed value.

On the keypad some ASCII Text is stored in the keypad and some is sent from the M1 Control.

Spanky said:
On the keypad some ASCII Text is stored in the keypad and some is sent from the M1 Control.
First, thanks for the quick response.

My question about the binary image and checksums is because in looking over the binary images, I can see some of the keypad messages and it would be an interesting experiment to translate some messages in another language. My question is: If I were to do that, would ELKRP see that the file's checksum (or whatever) is not right and refuse to load it into the device, or would it load anyways? Also, is this something worth trying or is there a risk of corrupting the device?

Too bad - that would be fun.

PS: I'm very excited to see Guy in here tearing apart the M1. Only good things can come from that......

Back