ELK M1EZ8 HA Control RC Car

Spanky

Chris Whitworth, an ELK Engineer, has turned a M1EZ8 Security And Automation Controller into a Radio Controlled Car.

Here is a link to it: EZ8 RC Car

ONBOARD ELECTRONICS:

MISC:
1 NetGear wireless router
1 Panasonic BL-C10A ip camera (Provided by Automated Outlet): Stream video to watch where we are going...
2 Futaba S3004 Servos: Used to move left and right...

ELK PRODUCTS PARTS:
1 Elk-EZ8: Main brains for controlling (forward,reverse,left right)

1 Elk-EZ8MSI-
1 Elk-M1XEP- These two parts used to get on the LAN

1 Elk Sensitive Relay: Used to switch between forward and reverse.

1 Elk Water Shutoff Valve - Motor for Forward and Reverse

You can use a PC or UMPC to control the car as you watch where it is going through the Ethernet video feed from the cars IP video camera!
We are having too much fun!!!

Chris Whitworth, an ELK Engineer, has turned a M1EZ8 Security And Automation Controller into a Radio Controlled Car.

ONBOARD ELECTRONICS:

MISC:
1 NetGear wireless router
1 Panasonic BL-C10A ip camera (Provided by Automated Outlet): Stream video to watch where we are going...
2 Futaba S3004 Servos: Used to move left and right...

ELK PRODUCTS PARTS:
1 Elk-EZ8: Main brains for controlling (forward,reverse,left right)

1 Elk-EZ8MSI-
1 Elk-M1XEP- These two parts used to get on the LAN

1 Elk Sensitive Relay: Used to switch between forward and reverse.

1 Elk Water Shutoff Valve - Motor for Forward and Reverse

You can use a PC or UMPC to control the car as you watch where it is going through the Ethernet video feed from the cars IP video camera!

OMG That is sooooooooooooooo awesome. In addition to fun if your alarm goes off you can search your house for the bad guy. Add a few guns (as I think Vaughn was playing with) and you have the ELK version of robocop.

OMG That is sooooooooooooooo awesome. In addition to fun if your alarm goes off you can search your house for the bad guy. Add a few guns (as I think Vaughn was playing with) and you have the ELK version of robocop.

Add RFID and it caan know where it is in the house and automate the finding of the bad guys.... no need to sit behind the computer trying to find them...

From what I understand it's the new "security through obscurity" approach Elk is using. If it detects anyone in the frontyard while armed, the alarm panel will hide it self every 30 seconds in a new spot until the coast is clear. Possibilities are endless!

From what I understand it's the new "security through obscurity" approach Elk is using. If it detects anyone in the frontyard while armed, the alarm panel will hide it self every 30 seconds in a new spot until the coast is clear. Possibilities are endless!

LOL LOL LOL

They would have to add an RF Receiver to do that. Use a keyfob to arm etc.

Hi Spanky,

is this a typing error : the watervalve for foreward/reverse ?
And how do you the steering ?

Anyway: Now I got a serious reason visiting ELK at any exhibition !

What I need is such a car, which can also automaticly mow grass and weed and fertilize, has a camera and on the same platform a gun. The last not for burglars but to fight Armadillos. Their digging activities are awfull.

Well, there are a lot of activities on the robotic sector. My prediction according to Moores law: in 6 or 9 years, I can buy such a maschine from my budget. At this time I saw only "Scooba" and "Roomba" (from www.irobot.com) at work ... and that a little too less for me.

I think that the car represents the creativity, knowledge, and experience of the engineering staff at ELK that you dont see many places anymore. But even more important I think it shows that they love their jobs and that their management motivates and encourages them.

Plus I think it soooooooooooooo cool!!! :p

I think that the car represents the creativity, knowledge, and experience of the engineering staff at ELK that you dont see many places anymore. But even more important I think it shows that they love their jobs and that their management motivates and encourages them.

Plus I think it soooooooooooooo cool!!! :p

Engineers being engineers :p

It reminds me of the HP commercials-- the one where the engineers overhead the marketing folks discussing advertising for the Mopier ("how about... 'It does everything but mow the lawn' ") and then went out and built a mopier lawn-mower.

The steering is done by a model airplane servo motor. A small PC board, mounted behind the camera, controls the servo motors pulse width modulation as commands come to it from the M1EZ8 Controller.

The 12 Volt Water Valve Motor drives the rear wheels forward and reverse as commanded from the M1EZ8.

PS. This car is a one of a kind. I am trying to talk Chris into drawing up plans on how an individual can make one. Everything was either custom made by Chris or bought from suppliers or hobby shops. Automated Outlet supplied the Panasonic IP camera.

The steering is done by a model airplane servo motor. A small PC board, mounted behind the camera, controls the servo motors pulse width modulation as commands come to it from the M1EZ8 Controller.

The 12 Volt Water Valve Motor drives the rear wheels forward and reverse as commanded from the M1EZ8.

PS. This car is a one of a kind. I am trying to talk Chris into drawing up plans on how an individual can make one. Everything was either custom made by Chris or bought from suppliers or hobby shops. Automated Outlet supplied the Panasonic IP camera.

I know that a ton of hard work went into this and that it probably could never be mass produced. The cost would also be fairly high. I was teasing more than anything. It is on my Christmas list though :D I have to show this to my friends up north here that are working on the EZ8. They will get a kick out of it.

I give Chris a lot of credit for his hardwork overall. He is a very smart guy and a huge asset to ELK.

Add a switchblade on the front or a tazer to keep the bad guys down until the cops can arrive! Of course you'd have to have some facial recognition software on board to keep the little bugger from chasing YOU around the house! :D

Back