Elk M1G console port options

frankdr

I was trying to figure out if the local console port is the only port you can admin the system from. I'm looking at 3 options.

1. putting a PC near the main system box (and it might get used for other HA stuff)
2. installing the ethernet option (nice features but expensive)
3. using the M1XSP (least expensive, but I can't tell if it's supported-doesn't appear so)

Since the ethernet option is just talking via the serial port, I guess you could write something for the PC to do the same web UI stuff. Has anyone created this yet?

I was also wondering what options people have connected via the serial port. I'm looking for a way to send IR commands out from the M1G. Are there good serial-to-IR boxes that have been used?

Thanks,
Frank

I was trying to figure out if the local console port is the only port you can admin the system from. I'm looking at 3 options.

What about option 4. This is what I use and several others. Run Cat5 cable to the Elk serial port from the computer. My run is about 45 ft and it works great. There is a diagram in the Elk manual showing this.

The ethernet is very nice but more then I wanted to spend for this feature. Since I already had HS and Elk plugin. If not I would have installed the ethernet module.

Oh Yeah you can also admin from the local (or remote) phone line if setup I did this for awhile. But you can't update firmware.

I was also wondering what options people have connected via the serial port. I'm looking for a way to send IR commands out from the M1G. Are there good serial-to-IR boxes that have been used?

Elk doesn't support any IR yet. Some have asked for it (Me included). Elk didn't say no but more if there is enough demand for it they will look into it. I wish it would commnicate with the Ocelot.

For clarification, you can not get all the administration functions from the serial port expanders. They give you limited ASCII string capability mainly for controlling lighting, thermostats, etc. The main port 0 on the M1 gives you all the administration and ASCII string capability.

ELK has some nice remote control software that runs under .net but it has not been released yet. That software will run through the serial port or ethernet port.

I have contacted ADI about interfacing to their products, but nothing has happened yet.

For clarification, you can not get all the administration functions from the serial port expanders.
That's sort of what I figured out. It might help to say that explicitly in the docs. I'll check the distance, or I may use a serial tunnel or virtual com port over ethernet if it's too far.
ELK has some nice remote control software that runs under .net but it has not been released yet.
I work with the .net framework and there looks like some good stuff in 2.0 - (no 3rd party tools required)- If there is a .net assembly that can be used to abstract some of the M1's features, that would be great. I could build all sorts of UI's or external interfaces through that.
I have contacted ADI about interfacing to their products
The application I had in mind for IR would be to switch sources on my AV receiver to interrupt the current audio and/or video and switch to an M1 annoucement and/or internal TV channel. Is there another way to do that?

I currently do my programming on a laptop and just plug into my panels when I want to download programming or updates.

I am planning on adding the web option to them though. In my house I'll first have to install a wireless bridge in my security closet to get the internet to my panel since I currently don't have it in there.

Back