Elk M1G Failure to Communicate

alindner

After doing my first install with the Elk M1 Gold I found everything fairly easy to setup, except for the dialer which I have never been able to get to work. What is the minimum amount of setup required to be able to have it dial out?

I have done everything in section 3.5 Install manual, setup a phone number to my cell, tried CID and voice (testing it by using a rule). I did not change any reporting codes from the default.

Globals I have
Telephone control (2) local and remote.
I can call the Elk from my local phone, but not remotely so I know at least part of it is working.

I run the communicator tests from a keypad, send test silently, w/ speaker monitor and Turn Butt Set Monitor Mode on and they appear to do nothing. I never see the dialer LED on the Elk M1 Gold ever active. The Seize Line seems to work, LED and testing it with a phone (leaves it without a dial tone).

For the LastOnHookTele Line voltage I usually get 66. I do have a normal land phone line (TDS), not IP phone.

Anyone have a clue what I could be doing wrong? I check/redid my wiring at least 3 times and always still has the same behavior. I am using the RJ31x module with the surge protector (I don't have the part number on me) that comes with it.

The rest of my system consists of two keypads, M1XEP and M1XRF2G with around 28 wireless sensors. I can also communicate with my ISY99i without a problem. At least in the ISY99i to M1 Gold direction.

Thanks for your help.
Aaron

When trying to call a cell phone with a voice message, you need the following items:

1. Telephone. In telephone 1 set "number to dial" to your cell phone number, reporting format to "5=voice", and number of attempts to 1 or 2. Also, I found that sometimes the M1 starts dialing before the line is seized. I had trouble with this until I found a solution---set a couple of "//" before the number. That causes the M1 to pause before dialing. So the number entry will look something like this: "//18005556666" (without the quotes)

2. Rules. You must use a rule to initiate dialing for voice messages. Use a rule such as "Whenever any alarm, any area turns on, then dial cell phone and announce message. (You'll have to pick a message to announce or make one in the miscellaneous area.) You can try a temporary rule such a for a door zone not secure for testing.

That should do it.

I tried the // before my number and it does the same thing which is nothing.

My rule is:
Whenever any burglar alarm, any area turns on
then dial me (//1234567) and announce burglary message 2 (vm301)

I have been testing this by using ElkRP and using the Test button. Seems to work for emails and other things.

I think commas make longer pauses, but that probably doesn't matter since the dialer isn't even attempting to seize the line.

Make sure you entered your phone correctly -- no spaces, no area code for local call, reporting format 5 with no more than two dialing attempts.

I would also try wiring the phone line directly to the Elk. Maybe that module is flaky.

Try a simpler rule like calling you every minute and announcing something. Create the rule, save and make sure RP is disconnected from the Elk

You're not getting Telephone Trouble on the keypad?

I originally tried the 'D' to wait for dial tone, but I believe mine is odd enough that it doesn't recognize it. Adding the delay works. I removed the surge protector too, so its possible that was the problem in addition. I'll have to patch things back in now.

I actually have so much noise on the line from DSL that I can't even make out the message, nor could the # response get acknowledged. Unplugging my DSL modem makes it clear and looking at other threads looks like I just need a DSL filter.

Thanks for your help.

Instead of making a rule call every minute, I used one from a function button on a keypad which is easier to control.

I tried the // before my number and it does the same thing which is nothing.

My rule is:
Whenever any burglar alarm, any area turns on
then dial me (//1234567) and announce burglary message 2 (vm301)

I have been testing this by using ElkRP and using the Test button. Seems to work for emails and other things.

For some reason I remember something about not being able to dial with ELKRP connected.... try using a F button or set a rule to dial when a zone is violated open a door to trigger it or something.

edit: I just got to the bottom of the thread.. and you did that :) and it worked... not to find out if it was one or the other

Back